Anyone on the forum with a NDT/Inspection background?

General discussion and guidelines
joea
Site Admin

Re: Anyone on the forum with a NDT/Inspection background?

Post by joea » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:26

deCreeft wrote:Hi Joe!
Looks like you guys are progressing towards gathering forces...
I am stuck with replacement of Angles, because Previous Owner (just as destructive as "jag previous owners") cut and spliced angles at will; a mess.
Attempting (still) to sell floats and complete Sedan Rigging *and* big prop so as to pay at least most of wing repair...
New heart valve pumping good...still dont know about flying eventually but not abandoning Sedan !! (gonna be 81 next month)should sell everything but stating with floats then certified airplane...
Bill de Creeft
Homer, Alaska
Good to hear that Bill. Now, how can we help?

We are going to be cutting some (not all) inspection hole covers in my wing this weekend, followed by Gareth Gilsons and a third Sedan shortly.

Stay in touch!

Joe A

PS Just got the V-12 back and its purring like it should again! :)

Louis

Post by Louis » Mon Nov 04, 2013 13:30

I've cleaned up in the wings and so far things look pretty good. There's a few stains on the spar cap which go away with a little light rubbing with Scotchbrite pads. I'm going to get someone locally with more corrosion experience to take a look at things before I call it good. Getting enough light on things isn't easy. Does anyone know of a good source of a really bright light that will slip through an inspection hole, or even the aileron well? Thanks...Louis

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:10

Louis wrote:I've cleaned up in the wings and so far things look pretty good. There's a few stains on the spar cap which go away with a little light rubbing with Scotchbrite pads. I'm going to get someone locally with more corrosion experience to take a look at things before I call it good. Getting enough light on things isn't easy. Does anyone know of a good source of a really bright light that will slip through an inspection hole, or even the aileron well? Thanks...Louis
Louis,

Everyone that I have seen is in the same situation. Not expecting to find a new wing inside but the three that I have seen here in AZ are all just fine and are back up and in the air. Stains are to be expected and are not corrosion. Then treat it and put it back together and fly!

Regarding the light, we used a LED light from Harbor Freight, they have the freebies that they give away with a coupon and they work great, lots of light and last forever. This coupled with a mirror or borescope and you can see everything fine. If you cannot get them up there let me know and can mail you one.

Joe A

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Tue Nov 05, 2013 15:38

Louis,

Or try getting some of these. I love them and they put out more light than you could use in most cases!

https://www.google.com/search?q=lumen+m ... d=0CDEQsxg

Joe A

Louis

Post by Louis » Tue Nov 19, 2013 00:47

Thanks, Joe. One of those high intensity tactical flashlights should light things up pretty well to supplement the halogen lights. I'll see if I can find one around here this week. appreciate the offer to send one...Louis

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Tue Nov 19, 2013 16:04

Streamlight made a little inspection light with a flexible neck on it. You can get it with either a white or blue light. I have the blue one and it works really well because it doesnt shadow as bad as the white lights. NAPA used to sell them for about $30. Only downside is that they use about 4 odd little watchbatteries instead of AAAs.

Dik