Another sad loss in the Aeronca community...

General discussion and guidelines
joea
Site Admin

Another sad loss in the Aeronca community...

Post by joea » Sun Jul 08, 2012 20:25

I seem to be doing this more and more as I get older and to tell the truth, it does not get any easier...

I received the below email from Gail Kelly, Mike Kelly's wife today. I had no idea that Mike had "flown West" and am assuming that no one on the bulletin board did either. He was a wonderful guy and assume great husband and Father... and our world is a lot poorer with his passing.

Just went back through my emails with him and we discussed everything under the sun, from his love of shooting to getting a Cessna for his son, building a "Sewing room" for Gail to his buying an airplane he had wanted for years, a L-19 Bird-dog. (yes he kept the Aeronca the last I heard!) He wanted to make it to Middletown but was too busy this year...

I have included his old email address below in case anyone wants to contact Gail and pass along their feelings. Am sending her a link to this post so she can read the replies left by his friends here. Personally I am simply gutted and considered him a good friend.... cannot believe he is gone.

Please say a belated prayer for Mike and his family tonight and remember that nothing is forever...

Take care,

Joe A

~~~~~

Hi Joe,

This is Mike's wife, Gail. Don't know if you remember me or not. I thought maybe you had not heard the sad news about Mike.

I'm so sorry to tell you that Mike died on June 10 after suffering a cardiac arrest on 5/31 and never regained consciousness.

At one time Mike was active on the Aeronca forum and I knew that his friends there would want to know.

I hope all is well with you and your family.

Sincerely,
Gail

CptKelly <CptKelly@aol.com>

David Johnson

Re: Another sad loss in the Aeronca community...

Post by David Johnson » Mon Jul 09, 2012 08:40

Gail, please accept our condolences. Mike was a lot of fun to have on the forum. His posts were always interesting. You take care of yourself. David J., Jasper, GA

WWhunter

Post by WWhunter » Mon Jul 09, 2012 08:59

So sad to hear. I had talked to Mike many times via PM and on the phone. He was a great guy and I never was able to get to his place for a visit. He had a love of firearms (especially M1 A's the semi-auto M-14) as do I and we had always planned on doing a 'shoot' together. Mike was a pilot in Vietnam and had been hurt during service. He had a gaggle of planes and a beautiful strip and place in SC. Sad to hear of his passing. God Bless and tailwinds Mike.
Keith

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:41

Thanks for the messages guys and that mirror's my communications with him.

One thing that really hurts is that Gail emailed me back today and told me some more details of what happened. Evidently he had just driven to the feed store and collapsed there.

Thats where the problems began... evidently no one knew or performed CPR on him for the several minutes it took for the ambulance to arrive, so no blood flow to his brain. He then made it ok to the hospital but never came out of the coma and she feels (and I totally agree) that the time on the ground with no blood flow to his brain was the deciding factor.

Everyone, if you do not know CPR, LEARN IT! I have been an EMT/Paramedic for 32 years and never needed 99% of my training. Hope I never need to use it but to see someone like this lie on the ground for minutes while others just stand around is really sad. Learn from this and never let something like this happen again!

Gail has asked for our help in working with some of Keith's things, airplanes and so on as well as figuring out what the land and so on is worth. Am going to get her in touch with Lise Lingo, Tony Markl's daughter. She is going through the same exact thing with Tony and Pat's estate right now.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Jul 09, 2012 14:09

Sorry to hear of Mike's passings and the Aeronca site is poorer without his knowledge. Always enjoyed reading his posts and you're right, I need to renew my CPR training.
Mike Berg