Balsa models

General discussion and guidelines
WWhunter

Balsa models

Post by WWhunter » Tue Sep 04, 2012 09:36

Anyone know what the old Guillow's and Comet Balsa Airplane kits are worth? I found a Sedan and a Champ 85 locally for sale along with several others. They are unused kits still in the box. I build models many years ago and since my back issue leaves me couch riden more often then not these days I was thinking of restarting an old hobby. Any ideas what they are worth?

Red(neck) Barron

Re: Balsa models

Post by Red(neck) Barron » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:06

Guillow's is still in production and making most of the same kits that they have forever so I doubt that they are worth anymore than you can buy a new one for. I've got the Champ kit sitting in my closet waiting for my inspiration to kick in. I don't think the model business is near what it used to be. Today's kids can only use their thumbs. Someone selling those kits might be willing to take whatever they can get.
Larry H
Sigourney, IA
Formally N84619, N84149 & N84069 - all1946 7AC's; also N57430 a 7ECA
Currently N91RA 7GCAA (Still a Champ, just grown up some)

skyking3286

Post by skyking3286 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 22:19

The models use a lot of basswood instead of balsa, so if you want to fly them, you might want to look carefully at the wood. They build into a nice scale model.
Mark Peterson
Harvey Field, WA
A copy of my old Chief website is preserved here:

http://www.reocities.com/mrpeters.geo/index.html

WWhunter

Post by WWhunter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 07:43

I passed on the kits. There were 9 OLD kits still in their box and the final bids were, $8 for the Globe Swift, $10 for the Champ 85, $16 for the Sedan, $37 for the P-51. $32 for the P-38, $44 for the 'Double VooDoo', and there were others that sold for as low as $5 up to $11.
These were VERY old kits still in the box. A couple had been started but only a few pieces had been prepped.

brink

Post by brink » Thu Dec 27, 2018 09:13

Really old post, but I still build and fly models when I can, right now recovering my 7AC Champ fuselage. The ARF market has really taken over, Foam really beautiful models. The old style balsa wood kits are still produced, but pricy, never see young guys at the flying field, infact when I go I am alone, right now I have 3 Planes I am trying to finish. HNY

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:43

I have paid some ridiculous prices for some old Revel kits that I really wanted. As a kid and a young Ham Radio operator, I made lots of Heath, Allied, Eicho and other kits. I have seen some unbuilt Heath kits from the 60s sell for thousands of dollars and many of the early components, especially the old capacitors will not even work today.

My grand daughter found a kit for me for my birthday that was of one of the planes I own. Not sure where she found it. For plastic kits though it is even hard to find plastic glue as like some spray paint, kids sniff it these days.

There used to be at least 5 huge hobby shops here in Manhattan and now none. Only mail order.

Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:43

I have paid some ridiculous prices for some old Revel kits that I really wanted. As a kid and a young Ham Radio operator, I made lots of Heath, Allied, Eicho and other kits. I have seen some unbuilt Heath kits from the 60s sell for thousands of dollars and many of the early components, especially the old capacitors will not even work today.

My grand daughter found a kit for me for my birthday that was of one of the planes I own. Not sure where she found it. For plastic kits though it is even hard to find plastic glue as like some spray paint, kids sniff it these days.

There used to be at least 5 huge hobby shops here in Manhattan and now none. Only mail order.

Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com