A suggestion for more traffic?

General discussion and guidelines
bob turner

A suggestion for more traffic?

Post by bob turner » Sun Dec 21, 2014 20:30

This is a worthwhile forum. I do not have a real Champ, but I fly them and occasionally work on them. And I have a Decathlon, very closely related.

There is maybe a post a day here, scattered among so many diverse topics it is hard to count them. I bet traffic could increase by either putting all recent posts in the same spot, or by cutting back to maybe five different topic headings. You could do "general", "Champs and Citabrias", "Maintenance", "all other topics", and "Rants and Raves". Just a thought.

jepropst

Re: A suggestion for more traffic?

Post by jepropst » Mon Dec 22, 2014 04:49

You might want to click on the "view unread posts" or "view new posts" near the top right corner of the web page to see what you've missed since your last visit to the site.
John Propst
313 Hickory Grove Ln
Elizabeth, WV 26143
cell 304 588 3690
j.e.propst@ieee.org
N3129E 2WV3

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:28

+1

Dale

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Tue Dec 23, 2014 04:43

There is maybe a post a day here, scattered among so many diverse topics it is hard to count them. I bet traffic could increase by either putting all recent posts in the same spot, or by cutting back to maybe five different topic headings. You could do "general", "Champs and Citabrias", "Maintenance", "all other topics", and "Rants and Raves". Just a thought.
Good points Bob. This forum is operated by volunteers, without pay, who have a day job and so it might not get the attention your suggestion should warrant. This site has been around for quite awhile and like most web pages suffers from attention to details. It's a full time job to maintain a website (or forum) and unless the managers/moderators want to share their duties it rests upon them and their schedules to address issues.

I have had to hunt and search and as John Probst suggested. SEARCH_UNREAD in the upper right of the window will show you what you have missed. I did that to catch up over a Holiday weekend awhile back and now its a daily visit and minimal posts that I haven't read which appear when I click the link.
Richard

williamc

Post by williamc » Tue Dec 23, 2014 16:59

I love this forum. I think its the best on the net for anything Aeronca. Also the search feature is a great way to find answers to your questions. Happy Holidays to all.
Bill
Carolina Aeronca Pilot

bob turner

Post by bob turner » Tue Dec 23, 2014 20:18

Okay. I usually am not searching for anything, just wondering what the latest hot topic is. I check " Postwar Champ" and then go back to the Cub forums.

james gevay

Post by james gevay » Wed Dec 24, 2014 07:20

All good points above, and I wish this site was a little more active too. I guess that most of you are either out flying and having too much fun, or your projects are being worked on quietly. There are many great posts to be found in the search area, so I hope this site doesn't fade away into oblivion. This site is one of my main sources of information in helping me try and finish my Champ restoration.
I believe that one of the reasons this site has slowed down is that the server or whatever is full and you can't post photos through this site.
You can still post photos through a site like Photobucket and link them here though.

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Wed Dec 24, 2014 08:29

I have learned much on this forum and met a lot of great Aeronca fans. Hope I can continue to give back. For many of us it is cold winter time, so lets see some pictures and stories of those Aeroncas on Skis.

I am about to get another Chief, which recently came off its floats and is back on Wheels, but I have a set of skis all ready for it. Now just need a little lasting snow where I am.

Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:23

I've also noticed a lot of traffic on the National Aeronca Association face book page and of course you can post pictures there. I resisted joining another 'cyber' organization but it is a closed group and seems like a lot of the folks that used to post here now post on that site. Although personally I like this one probably because I'm a traditionalist :wink: .
Mike

Red(neck) Barron

Post by Red(neck) Barron » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:02

The NAA Facebook site gets a lot of activity and is a great 2nd Aeronca resource. It has probably drained some activity from here but between the two there is always someone posting something of interest. If you use this site properly, it shows the items that you have not yet looked at, so finding the new stuff is no problem. Personally, I like the way Joe has set up the breakdown of topics. It makes no difference when I'm reading the new stuff because I read it all, but it comes in handy when I need to research something specific.

Personally, I'm just grateful for all the people who have contributed some of their knowledge and experience to this site to make it the great Library of Aeronca knowledge that it is.

Now if only the sky would go up and the wind would go down, I could spend my time actually with the airplane instead of the computer.
Larry H
Sigourney, IA
Formally N84619, N84149 & N84069 - all1946 7AC's; also N57430 a 7ECA
Currently N91RA 7GCAA (Still a Champ, just grown up some)

jnmeade

Post by jnmeade » Wed Dec 24, 2014 13:25

I'd post more often but all my posts have to be released by the moderator.

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Wed Dec 24, 2014 15:16

It is interesting about the activity, but the important thing is that when a question gets asked, there are usually plenty of responses. Not some much for just general posts. MikeB I think know the site of which you speak and it is interesting that this site has about 1,600 plus members and that site has about 2,700 plus members and there is more activity here than there. What I also find interesting is the response to posts like Happy Holidays. I would think that with 1,600 plus members there would be more than 5 that responded. Over on that other site, one guy posted a message like that and I responded. That was it out of over 2,700 members and during Thanksgiving weekend a similar post by the same guy invoke one response, yep just me.

Winters here in the north so lets hear those stories and see those pictures of your Aeroncas on Skis.

Merry Christmas and all the Best for a Safe, Healthy and Prosperous New Year - Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sat Jan 03, 2015 00:34

jnmeade wrote:I'd post more often but all my posts have to be released by the moderator.
And the moderator still cannot figure out why several members posts are requiring approval.

Sorry about that and when this happens wish someone would let me know. Between Christmas, New Years and having to fly far too much in the last two weeks I have not had time to get on the forum.

Its now been approved...

Joe A