7AC-CCM PRIMER

General discussion and guidelines
Paul Courchesne

7AC-CCM PRIMER

Post by Paul Courchesne » Tue Apr 28, 2015 06:42

cAN ANY ONE HELP ME.

HAVE AN 0-235 LYCOMING IN MY 7CCM AND I SUSPECT MY PRIMER IS CAUSING ENGINE ISSUES.
ON RUN UP WHEN THE MAG IS CHECKED THE ENGINE DOES A POPING OR FARTING SOUND.

HAVE ENGINE OUT LAST FALL AND TOOK IT TO AN APPROVED ENGINE SHOP AND THEY SAID THE ENGINE WAS PERFECT NOTHING WRONG.

SUSPECT GAS GETTING THREW PRIMER NOW AS SOME TIME GAS DOES SQUIRT OUT AROUND PRIMER.

WHERE CAN I GET A PRIMER FOR A 7AC FRAME. ORIGINALLY THOUGH I ORDER ONE FOR THE ENGINE BUT WHEN I RECIEVED IT FROM
UNIVAIR IT DIDNT FIT IN THE HOLE. DIDNT REALIZE YOU HAVE TO ORDER THOUGHS FOR THE AIR FRAME.
oR DO I MODIFY THE FRAME TO FIT THE PRIMER WHICH I DIDN'T.

CANT SEEM TO FIND THE ORGINAL.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRICIATED. THANKS
P.S. CHECK OUT MY U TUBE --- KIPAWA FLYOVER MOVIE

MikeB

Re: 7AC-CCM PRIMER

Post by MikeB » Tue Apr 28, 2015 08:58

Paul,
The one on my L16 I believe is from a Cessna 150. It mounted well but took a bit of plumbing. It came in a box when I bought the project engine so I'm unsure but it might be worth a try. Hope this helps.

Couple of other thoughts though: some primers are "rebuildable" with an internal seal or "O" ring and the fact it's running rough on the mag check makes me suspect an ignition problem rather than fuel (not that it isn't possible). Either way a primer shouldn't leak. Does it "miss" when you rev it up without doing a mag check? That should tell you something.

Mike

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Tue Apr 28, 2015 21:19

Paul,

I flew an 0-235 in my '66 7ECA Citabria and it behaved as you described. I suspected it was fouling and began to lean the engine as soon as the engine started and began to run smooth. This seemed to solve the issue. I have an 0-235 in my 7CCM as well. I was able to mount the primer in a new dash using the fitting intended for the primer. I can check the number tomorrow when I get to the hangar.

Mike's suggestion is very good if your primer seems to be leaking. I you find a local source for the O-ring be sure and let it set in a glass of av-gas for a couple of days to be sure it will not deteriorate. before putting it into service.

Richard
Richard

Paul Courchesne

Post by Paul Courchesne » Tue Apr 28, 2015 21:45

The fact the the engine was brought to a engine place and they ran it on their dyno lets me to believe that the issue
is the rest of the issues on the the plane.

When i lean it out the problem goes away.

ice almost off our lake 4 day away from float time.

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Tue Apr 28, 2015 22:53

When I rebuilt my engine, I also rebult both mags. About 5 hours into flight time, I developed a popping and low RPMs on one mag only. The problem was one of the new mag capacitors was breaking down. Good luck.

Dennis

james gevay

Post by james gevay » Wed Apr 29, 2015 07:09

Paul, here's a little more information on primers.

http://www.joea.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5565

hammmike

Post by hammmike » Thu Apr 30, 2015 14:59

My primer went south on my champ,was sucking gas through it and running very rich. I removed the primer line and plugged the hole in the intake with a pipe plug. The engine will primeitself if you pull it through 4 or 5 blades and start and run fine. I flew mine around the airport and it smoothed up nice. Mine was running so bad it was fouling plugs. I ordered a new primer and have had no issues sense.