Lycoming 0-145

Engine and powerplant parts wanted or for sale
Rodney Zapf
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 22:40
Contact:

Lycoming 0-145

Post by Rodney Zapf » Mon May 03, 2010 09:36

I am in need of head gaskets for my 0-145 Lyc. I have a 1941 Aeronca Chief, fully restored, just waiting to get back into the air. Rod Zapf

Paul Agaliotis
Posts: 2462
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 18:49
Location: San Martin, California
Contact:

Re: Lycoming 0-145

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Mon May 03, 2010 16:46

Rodney,
I think there is a AN900 that will work. It's so large it probably will be a special order.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

Rodney Zapf
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 22:40
Contact:

Re: Lycoming 0-145

Post by Rodney Zapf » Tue May 04, 2010 12:01

I found the head gasket and parts I need. Anyone else looking for parts for the 0-145, let me know and I can point you in a direction. I am now looking for a 34LY70 prop--my little LYC just won't spin my 36" pitch up to speed which should be 2550--I am about 150 rrr's short. Rod

Dan1940Chief
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 21:17
Location: Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Lycoming 0-145

Post by Dan1940Chief » Tue May 04, 2010 13:28

Rodney Zapf wrote:I found the head gasket and parts I need. Anyone else looking for parts for the 0-145, let me know and I can point you in a direction. I am now looking for a 34LY70 prop--my little LYC just won't spin my 36" pitch up to speed which should be 2550--I am about 150 rrr's short. Rod

Hi Rod -- I have the Lycoming O-145-b2 in my 1940 Chief.
-----------------------------------
Dan McCormack
http://flightmusings.blogspot.com/
1940 Aeronca Chief LA-65
NEW Home Airport: S37 (Smoketown, PA)

Rodney Zapf
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 22:40
Contact:

Re: Lycoming 0-145

Post by Rodney Zapf » Tue May 04, 2010 13:56

Great, you are the first person to "admit" they are running a LYC 0-145. I have found that Henry Crowder (formerly El-Reno aviation supply) has many of the parts you may need. The gaskets are very expensive, head gaskets around 50 bucks each (and you need 3 of them, 2 outer and 1 inner)--but when you need them, you need them. His number is (405) 262-5191. You don't know where I can find a 34LY70 Sensenich prop around? I have a new 36" and am having a little trouble turning it. Rod Zapf

Dan1940Chief
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 21:17
Location: Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Lycoming 0-145

Post by Dan1940Chief » Tue May 04, 2010 15:57

Rodney Zapf wrote:Great, you are the first person to "admit" they are running a LYC 0-145. I have found that Henry Crowder (formerly El-Reno aviation supply) has many of the parts you may need. The gaskets are very expensive, head gaskets around 50 bucks each (and you need 3 of them, 2 outer and 1 inner)--but when you need them, you need them. His number is (405) 262-5191. You don't know where I can find a 34LY70 Sensenich prop around? I have a new 36" and am having a little trouble turning it. Rod Zapf

It's a fine, simple powerplant. Parts are out there -- just have to ID who has them!

There's a guy in PA that owns the STC for the Lycoming O-145 series, apparently (Lycoming sold it)
-----------------------------------
Dan McCormack
http://flightmusings.blogspot.com/
1940 Aeronca Chief LA-65
NEW Home Airport: S37 (Smoketown, PA)

User avatar
joea
Site Admin
Posts: 6051
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 13:01
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Contact:

Re: Lycoming 0-145

Post by joea » Tue May 04, 2010 16:12

Dan1940Chief wrote:It's a fine, simple powerplant. Parts are out there -- just have to ID who has them!
As long as you are not very heavy, the temp is low and you fly alone! :)

They are reported to put out a good 10-15 hp less than rated, so are not a stellar preformer. If you do not carry a large load, and hot at high altitude, then they are fine. As long as you can find parts for them that is!

Last time I heard a gasket set cost $1000 for the overhaul set.

Dan1940Chief
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 21:17
Location: Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Lycoming 0-145

Post by Dan1940Chief » Wed May 05, 2010 10:44

joea wrote:
Dan1940Chief wrote:It's a fine, simple powerplant. Parts are out there -- just have to ID who has them!
As long as you are not very heavy, the temp is low and you fly alone! :)

They are reported to put out a good 10-15 hp less than rated, so are not a stellar preformer. If you do not carry a large load, and hot at high altitude, then they are fine. As long as you can find parts for them that is!

Last time I heard a gasket set cost $1000 for the overhaul set.

No idea what the actual HP output is, but I've flown with two up and full fuel. It takes a while to climb, but that's what the ailerons are for -- turning to dodge trees, hills, and towers.

:lol:

But -- gaskets are considerably less. :wink:
-----------------------------------
Dan McCormack
http://flightmusings.blogspot.com/
1940 Aeronca Chief LA-65
NEW Home Airport: S37 (Smoketown, PA)

Captgrumps
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 20:18
Location: Georgia GA10/OPN
Contact:

Re: Lycoming 0-145

Post by Captgrumps » Wed May 05, 2010 11:05

The Lycoming reminds me of those engines in the economy cars--they get their horsepower by turning high rpm--short on torque. Have had two airplanes with them. Thankfully gone. What are cylinder head gaskets going for now?

Doug
Keep the pointed end forward--
The dirty side down.....
And the blue skies on top....

Dan1940Chief
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 21:17
Location: Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Lycoming 0-145

Post by Dan1940Chief » Wed May 05, 2010 11:11

Grumps wrote:The Lycoming reminds me of those engines in the economy cars--they get their horsepower by turning high rpm--short on torque. Have had two airplanes with them. Thankfully gone. What are cylinder head gaskets going for now?

Doug

2550 RPM is hardly "high RPM"?

Less than $1000/set.
-----------------------------------
Dan McCormack
http://flightmusings.blogspot.com/
1940 Aeronca Chief LA-65
NEW Home Airport: S37 (Smoketown, PA)

Rodney Zapf
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 22:40
Contact:

Re: Lycoming 0-145

Post by Rodney Zapf » Wed May 05, 2010 12:00

The Lycoming 0-145 requires 3 head gaskets(two of them are crush type) and the the cost for all 3 is over 150 bucks, plus shipping. Comes to around 160 dollars. I would have to say that my 0-145 seems to perform fairly satisfactory. I has a beautiful idle, seems to get the aircraft off the ground in less than 500 feet (no wind--one person)and will reach nearly 300 feet by the end of the 4000 foot runway--no neck buster, but I am trying to turn a 36 inch prop. I need a 34 or 32 if anyone out there has one they would like to sell! Rod

Dan1940Chief
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 21:17
Location: Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Lycoming 0-145

Post by Dan1940Chief » Wed May 05, 2010 12:15

Rodney Zapf wrote:The Lycoming 0-145 requires 3 head gaskets(two of them are crush type) and the the cost for all 3 is over 150 bucks, plus shipping. Comes to around 160 dollars. I would have to say that my 0-145 seems to perform fairly satisfactory. I has a beautiful idle, seems to get the aircraft off the ground in less than 500 feet (no wind--one person)and will reach nearly 300 feet by the end of the 4000 foot runway--no neck buster, but I am trying to turn a 36 inch prop. I need a 34 or 32 if anyone out there has one they would like to sell! Rod

Rod -- did you check the Lycoming manuals? The Operator manual says the prop should turn "2550 RPM at sea level in level flight."

I'm pretty pleased with my O-145 as well. It's the original S/N for this airframe, so it will remain a set.
-----------------------------------
Dan McCormack
http://flightmusings.blogspot.com/
1940 Aeronca Chief LA-65
NEW Home Airport: S37 (Smoketown, PA)

Rodney Zapf
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 22:40
Contact:

Re: Lycoming 0-145

Post by Rodney Zapf » Wed May 05, 2010 19:21

With the 36" pitch prop, my 0-145 will turn about 2450 in level flight--the book I have says 2550 in climb. If I had my druthers, I would turn the prop around 2600, maybe even 2650. As I see it, the limiting factor would be prop tip speed (sp of sound) The geared engine turns up to 3100 and produces another 15 hp based on rpms alone, same cam, crank, compression ratio etc etc etc. Why then would we limit the engine to 2550--I know, cause the LYC manual says so. Now, does anyone have a better answer? Not trying to be a rebel, just looking for a 32LY70 prop so I can test my theory--any out there? Rod Zapf

Dan1940Chief
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 21:17
Location: Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Lycoming 0-145

Post by Dan1940Chief » Wed May 05, 2010 19:35

Rodney Zapf wrote:With the 36" pitch prop, my 0-145 will turn about 2450 in level flight--the book I have says 2550 in climb. If I had my druthers, I would turn the prop around 2600, maybe even 2650. As I see it, the limiting factor would be prop tip speed (sp of sound) The geared engine turns up to 3100 and produces another 15 hp based on rpms alone, same cam, crank, compression ratio etc etc etc. Why then would we limit the engine to 2550--I know, cause the LYC manual says so. Now, does anyone have a better answer? Not trying to be a rebel, just looking for a 32LY70 prop so I can test my theory--any out there? Rod Zapf

2550 is engine RPM limit -- the prop and throttle govern that.
-----------------------------------
Dan McCormack
http://flightmusings.blogspot.com/
1940 Aeronca Chief LA-65
NEW Home Airport: S37 (Smoketown, PA)

Rodney Zapf
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 22:40
Contact:

Re: Lycoming 0-145

Post by Rodney Zapf » Wed May 05, 2010 19:59

Well, that didn't take long, the only reason 2550 is the limit is because Lycoming says it is the limit--why isn't the geared engine limited to 2550? It is the same powerplant! Sure don't want to start a fight, just looking for correct answers and the reason for them-- So many of the LYC 0-145 owners complain about the HP being 10 to 15 hp less than 65, take a look at what it puts out with just a few more rrrr's. If you can, please explain to me why the 0-145 is limited to 2550. I can understand anything except the "book says so". I would like to know why the book says so then turns right around and says the G motor can turn more (rrrs are measured at the engine, not the prop) More Rrrr's might shorten the TBO a smidge, but other than that, 2550 is a very slow RPM. Rod

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest