Continental C-85-12 Accessory case wanted

Engine and powerplant parts wanted or for sale
DELCOM

Continental C-85-12 Accessory case wanted

Post by DELCOM » Wed May 29, 2013 17:45

Hi All

Looking for a servicable C85-12 crankcase cover. I have heard that the 0200 case will also work. Any help locating one would be welcomed.
oem part # 6726-a2

Thanks

Del
N84029 7AC conv. #2716 Completed and flying
N83059 7BCM #1715 fully restored and sold

DELCOM

Re: Continental C-85-12 Accessory case wanted

Post by DELCOM » Wed Jun 19, 2013 21:41

I no longer need an accy. case. I was able to repair mine.

Del

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Thu Jun 20, 2013 05:00

Del,

If you wouldn't mind sharing. what was wrong with your old case and how were you able to repair it?
(inquiring minds want to know.... :D )

Richard
Richard

DELCOM

Post by DELCOM » Thu Jun 20, 2013 17:04

Richard

While at the machine shop the bores for the driven and driver oil pump gears in the accy case were clearly outside the service limits. The shop was going to re bush these counterbores but was having trouble with the set up and called me to see if another accy case could be procured in lew of this needed machine work. A few days later he called again and informed me that he was able to accomplish this rebush and that the case could be returned to service.
Funny part was I looked around and found some accy cases for sale but were EXTREMLY expensive. Afew days later my hangar partner showed up with a pick up load of aircraft parts wanting to store them in the hangar rather than his shop at home. I dug around in the back of the pick up before he unloaded it and found a yellow tagged accy case that was exactly what I was lookin for. I no longer needed it but still purchased it because of it's outstanding price. $ 50.00 WOW So now I own a good spare accy case.
I will be starting the engine reassembly next week......finally

Del

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Jun 20, 2013 17:27

Del,
If you don't mind posting, what did they charge you to bush the case? I've had mine done by Bolduc in the Twin Cities and it seems the price was around $400. That usually cures the 'drain back' and no oil pressure on startup after it's been sitting for a month or so problem.
Mike

DELCOM

Post by DELCOM » Thu Jun 20, 2013 17:50

Mike

The cost was around 300 dollars. I also put new driven and driver gears and plate. The work looks very good and I'm a happy customer. This should take care of the oil pump. I can only hope whoever buys this airplane appreciates it. I'm not skipping any corners. Should be done next spring and will be looking for a buyer after I get done breaking it in.

Del

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Jun 20, 2013 21:15

Del,
Thanks...I'm trying to remember but I think the $400 might have included new gears and cover plate on the A65 but then I could be wrong. I know it worked well when I got it back.
Sounds like you're doing a good job on the L16 and it should sell. I'm pecking away at my 11CC Chief project and hope to paint the airframe tomorrow. Think I'm going to use Poly-Fiber instead of Superflite this time. Don't think I can stand to breathe the MEK glue anymore. I've thought about using Stewart but think I'll stick with the tried and proven for now. My wife told me not to "fall in love with it (the Chief)" What does that mean???
Good luck with your project!
Mike

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Fri Jun 21, 2013 07:09

Del,

Thanks for sharing. Great story finding the spare case.

Mike,

$400 sounds like you got the gears too. I just priced some parts from Prefered Airparts and it was circa $250 for a new plate and driven gear.

My drain-down problem (no pressure from loss of prime) was cured by lapping the pressure relief valve to its seat.

Poly-Fiber is also MEK based. I use a large booth and good ventilation because it makes me sick. I keep going back dto Poly-Fiber because I find it easy to correct my mistakes, which I have repeatedly demonstrated I have a propensity for.

Your Chief is going to be a rare one. I have never seen elevators like it employs before. The balanced portion doesn't extend as far forward as other designs. It gives me the impression they were beginning to explore this design at this stage.

Richard
Richard

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jun 21, 2013 08:58

Off topic here............ but I used Superflite on the three I have covered. It's easy to work with and only basically four coats (two primer and two color) but the glue is very MEK based and I wound up opening both doors in the shop to let the breeze blow through. I have a fresh air supply I use for painting but it's miserable dragging the hose around so I tend not to use it for glueing. Charcoal mask helps some if I wear it. Besides the MEK based glue my other complaint with Superfllite is that it tends to crack when 'stressed' in cold weather. Warm weather is fine and I like the finish. I suspect part of the problem is the flex agent evaporates out after time.

Mike

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Fri Jun 21, 2013 16:39

Mike,
Once you switch to the Stewart glue you'll never go back.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Fri Jun 21, 2013 22:45

Paul,

Have you done a complete recover with the Stewarts system?
What were your impressions?

As I read the PolyFiber STC you had to use their PolyTack to be valid?
Richard

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Fri Jun 21, 2013 23:23

Richard,
I've only done parts, no complete jobs.
Their glue is quite strong, once applied and dry it can be heat activated. Use a sealing iron to stick it in place and if it's wrong peel it off and stick it again. I have my L16 ready to cover and I'm undiceded if I'll use Stewarts. I still have some Ceconite supplies left and don't want to toss them out. In the future I will be buying Stewarts products.
I've used most of the available systems out there and theirs shows the most promise. I'm working on a Pitts S1-T lower wings and the owner wants Poly-Fiber. It's just a drag to use, you end up with a big heavy rubbery mess. The fabric balloons between the ribs, it just won't tighten up. Not the fabric the finish. SuperFlight looks good but heavy. Carl and I weighed samples and based on 500 sq.ft. it weighs over 30lbs more that Ceconite.
With any STC'd covering process you have to follow the process as written. No deviation allowed. As far as top coats are concerned, painting is considered preventive maintainence.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046