Hood River (WAAM Museum) Fly-in

Post your Aeronca-related event here
Paul Agaliotis

Hood River (WAAM Museum) Fly-in

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Wed Aug 14, 2013 16:51

Is there anyone planning to attend the Fly-in? I was there a few months ago and was very impressed with their operation. I'm going to try to be there this year.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

Paul Agaliotis

Re: Hood River (WAAM Museum) Fly-in

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Tue Sep 10, 2013 00:14

Returned on Sunday and had a great time. If you plan to be in the Portland area you really need to visit this museum. Very active bunch with a fine collection of aircraft. Craig even let me tag along to the maintenance hanger as he assembled a TG3 glider. We had beautiful weather and a good turn out. I particularly enjoyed what I remember of the Beer Garden.
Paul

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Tue Sep 10, 2013 05:28

Paul,

Did you fly up or drive? Any pictures posted anywhere of the gathering?

Richard
Richard

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Tue Sep 10, 2013 16:39

Richard,
I drove up with the family. I'm pretty bad at taking pictures so I don't, I couldn't even post some of them I have on the L16 project.
They have a flyable LC and a whole slew of C3's one even on floats. One area is all Liason aircraft, not many museums even have one. No P51's or Bearcats just planes that every man could afford. Cars, Motorcycles just about everything you would like to see.
Paul

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Sep 11, 2013 17:06

I'm still mad at myself, because I forgot about the Hood River fly-in. On Saturday morning, a Waco and 182, flew over my house coming from Spokane. They were heading in the direction of Hood River. I didn't realize until late that afternoon the fly-in was going on ; when my son received a text message with a Waco picture.
Did they fly the Jenny and C-3? I've only seen a C-3 fly once at the ONT airshow years ago. Engine sounded like an old
J.D. tractor.
Richard

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Wed Sep 10, 2014 18:00

Another WAAM fly-in is in the books.
I had a great time and looked at all of the early Aeroncas the museum had to offer. If you get a chance don't miss this event, not many places have an Aeronca low-wing, three C series displayed, one on floats. Early Chiefs, Aeronca engines and that little Menasco I need.

You president, Craig, had the TG-5 project on display. You may remember the nose section at Middletown. At present it is mounted to the fuselage and is quite a display. There was a constant flow of people interested in this very rare Aeronca and Craig was busy answering all questions.

Being stratigically place in the Beer Garden, I was in a unique position to view most of the operations and displays. Also, sampling Oregon's finest libations was a nice way to pass the time.

Hope to see you there,

Paul

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 23:00

We were there on Saturday. Nice weather and flying. So many well restored a/c. I enjoyed seeing the C-3's and the rare L. I wish that I could see them fly. They didn't have a pre-war chief in their display though. I was thinking perhaps I should let them have mine.
I liked the small pamphlets that showed the history of many of the planes. Who owned them, and where they were located throughout the US.
And then there was those spencer girls........

Richard

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Sat Sep 05, 2015 00:29

I'm going to be at the Hood River flyin again this year. Hope to see many of you there.
I was in Salem a few weeks ago for the EAA 292 fly-in and gave a seminar on some of the routine problems I encounter when I licence the Aeroncas and differences in the 7&11 series. Weather was great and had a good time. Hope to be invited back next year.
Paul