Oshkosh 2015

Post your Aeronca-related event here
John Baker

Oshkosh 2015

Post by John Baker » Thu May 28, 2015 02:26

Aeroncateers...

Serious health problems since 2010 have limited my aviation activities, including attendance at Oshkosh and other fly-ins. This year my wife Sukey insists that we attempt the trip together. It will be a boost to have my best friend and supporter with me.

It seems the best way for us to do it will to drive from Virginia to Wisconsin, as that gives us more flexibility to adapt the schedule to my good and bad days. Sukey has booked a B&B in Appleton (The Roost) for four days, checking in on June 20 and checking out on June 24.

I hope to be able to meet up with my Aeronca and Stinson friends at the type club Hangar. If you wish, you can find my email address on my website to contact me, and perhaps we can exchange cell phone numbers.

I still have my Champ and have flown it on short local flights recently as weather conditions, field conditions, and MY condition permitted. I'm thankful for the sport pilot rule that makes this possible and for the perky 85HP STC that makes it so much fun. These low and slow flights over the tributaries to the Chesapeake Bay and along the Bay shore cheer me.

Hope to see you at Oshkosh 2015!

Tailwinds...
John Baker
Ophelia, Virginia
http://www.hangar9aeroworks.com
Aeronca Champ N1642E

hangerash

Re: Oshkosh 2015

Post by hangerash » Fri May 29, 2015 19:16

John

So good to read your post and hoping the odyssey to Oshkosh is rewarding and filled with pleasure. I hope to make the trip myself this year, but never know until the week before if it will indeed be a reality. I will surely email if I see things coming together.

Richard who is still trying to get his Champ back in the air.
Richard

Holcombe

Post by Holcombe » Sun May 31, 2015 11:13

I've got the notam and am once again planning the trip. Having beautiful country to fly through from Oregon makes it an easy fun trip, but I know you folks back East can do it too.
John, looking forward to meeting you and thanking you for your great web site.
The general meetup has been Tuesday morning, ten AM at type club hangar.
John, take the drive slow. It is so much more fun when all the backed up cars are behind you not in front.
Tail winds are a "Good Thing"

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun May 31, 2015 12:21

I'm a bit "hung up" with Oshkosh this year as I'll be traveling to Japan from July 10-21 and then a day or so to rest up before thinking about getting Oshkosh which will probably be later in the week. It's about a three hour drive east for me or a one and one/half hour flight. Prefer to fly but depends on the weather, etc. Don't think I've ever missed although I tend to ride the tram rather than walk from one end to the other several times.....there's just so much to see!!. Hope to see some "Aeroncaeers" and old friends around the type building.
Mike Berg

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Sun May 31, 2015 13:19

Hey Mike, I'm with you on the tram. This will be the first year since 1983 that I have not camped under the wing of my plane. This year I have reservations at Motel 6 at the end of 09-27. As I age, comfort becomes more important to me. Arrive Saturday morning and depart Wednesday.

Dennis

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun May 31, 2015 18:43

Dennis,
Weds July 22 is my birthday (" 76" good or bad depending how you look at it) but I think I'll still be on the recovery mode after the Japan trip so I'm guessing it will be Thursday at least before I make it to Oshkosh. Unsure why they moved the convention dates up rather than the next weekend but so be it.

Either way, I'll be there at some point.

Mike

Holcombe

Post by Holcombe » Mon Jun 01, 2015 09:56

Ya trams are definitely the way to go, and bring a good book to read while sitting under a wing. I always have a comfortable backpack/folding chair, a water bottle, and a hat.
I already bought all the hot stuff that fits on the panel, this year I'll be using Avare on a tablet and my phone, so walking is one trip down through all the planes in Vintage to see the oldest, prettiest, and most worn bargain flyer on the field.
Really, it's the people, not the stuff.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:09

Years ago, in order I used to (1) look at all the war birds and droll (2) look at the various overpriced (for me) kit planes and droll (3) check out the vintage planes. Now it's pretty much reversed and I spend a lot of time looking at the vintage planes. I guess with my "war bird" L16 I could park in the war bird area where they have the "L" series but it's so remote from everything that I tend to park in the vintage area plus a lot more folks passing by to visit with the added plus of being right by the runway.
Mike

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Wed Jun 03, 2015 17:14

Dennis,

Just curious how far in advance you had to book the Motel 6?

Richard
Richard

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Wed Jun 03, 2015 18:58

Richard,

The earliest date to book was late January. Don't remember the exact date. Last summer the manager gave me the date and I called at midnight. Quite frankly, I was surprised I got the room.

Dennis

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Fri Jun 05, 2015 09:33

Dennis,

Congratulations! Your good fortune. Hope to make it up on Tuesday at least for the informal gathering.

Richard
Richard

John Baker

Post by John Baker » Tue Jul 07, 2015 13:57

Aeroncateers,

My wife Sukey and I are still on track for Oshkosh, checking in on the 20th and checking out on the 24th. Looking forward to seeing you there. I'm hoping for sunny and pleasant Wisconsin weather.

Tailwinds...
John Baker
Ophelia, Virginia
http://www.hangar9aeroworks.com
Aeronca Champ N1642E

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Tue Jul 07, 2015 16:09

Slight modification to my post above. The motel at the end of 27 is Super 8. I'll be their Saturday through Wednesday.

Dennis

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Sat Jul 11, 2015 22:07

I'll be there God willing, Looking forward to the Hoopla and especially to meeting other NAA and other Aeroncateers. 86310 will be in the Vintage area camping. Give a holler if you can.

Dale

Holcombe

Post by Holcombe » Wed Jul 15, 2015 19:43

From Oregon, God willing and the creek don' t rise.
Five hours in the air got me over the Coast Range, across the Willamette Valley, through the Columbia Gorge, and over the Palouse to Coer d'Alene and a nice Shilo Inn. Tomorrow the Rocky Mountains, then it's all down hill to Oshkosh.
See you down in Vintage Camping. Bring cold beer or a good story.
Last edited by Holcombe on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:17, edited 1 time in total.