Oshkosh 2015

Post your Aeronca-related event here
John Baker

Re: Oshkosh 2015

Post by John Baker » Wed Jul 15, 2015 20:21

Richard,

Fly safe over the Rockies. I know you've done it before and know the way. We will look for you and other Aeroncateers.

We are leaving tomorrow morning, driving from Virgina, taking it slow and stopping to see friends on the way. We plan to arrive I Oshkosh on Monday.

Tailwinds...
John Baker
Ophelia, Virginia
http://www.hangar9aeroworks.com
Aeronca Champ N1642E

Holcombe

Post by Holcombe » Sun Jul 19, 2015 15:34

Coer d,Alene to Cut Bank Montana in two hours flat. Felt like last year with 150 plus ground speeds but this year winds on the ground were as promised by Flight Services, manageable. With stops for two fronts to pass over at night the rest of thr trip has been great flying over beautiful country. The Champ remains unscathed, burned half a quart of oil, a bit of gas, and I'll finally wash the windshield in the morning. Son in law gave me a bottle of fine Scotch which I'll crack open when tied down safely under the wing and a setting sun.
Tail winds are a "Good Thing"

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Mon Jul 20, 2015 09:10

What a thoughtful son-in-law. Does he want a foster father-in-law he can treat likewise?

Did you follow Sunday's storms into OSH?
Richard

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Mon Jul 20, 2015 09:10

Richard can't wait for this year's picture collection. Hope you took plenty on the way!
Richard

Holcombe

Post by Holcombe » Mon Jul 20, 2015 16:54

Came in monday morning, sent on up the tracks to land on 27. Breathd a sigh of releaf as cross wind on 18/36 was gusting 20. Then in mid down wind he says cleared to land on 18 right. Scrambling for other page in notam for new frequency, did as i was told and put her downon blue dot. Left some rubber but cross wind moderated on ground. Amazing what an Aeronca can handle if told forcefully. Then instead of sending me down to south forty out in the open, which i like for the quiet, they parked me tail in up against trees and the ultralight red barn behind a cazillion Eurcoups. Given the weather comming through, a great place to be and closer to everything. Wonders never cease.
Cheers

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Mon Jul 20, 2015 21:53

Great news Richard, thanks for posting. Wish I could be there in the morning for the 10:00 AM gathering at the Red Barn, but it looks like it will be in next years plans.
Richard

Holcombe

Post by Holcombe » Wed Jul 22, 2015 15:12

Other than the guy who flew too slow too close to the ground...
All is well here, only crisis has been deflategate on my air mattress, till my departing neighbor gave me his to stop me whining.
Last edited by Holcombe on Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

Red(neck) Barron

Post by Red(neck) Barron » Thu Jul 23, 2015 08:49

Was that the guy in the Malibu? Haven't been able to find out what happened on that deal. Hope they all make it.
Larry H
Sigourney, IA
Formally N84619, N84149 & N84069 - all1946 7AC's
Currently N57430 7ECA (Still a Champ, just grown up some)

Holcombe

Post by Holcombe » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:47

I just saw a column of black smoke. Saw some links to news yesterday but don'have them now.

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Sun Jul 26, 2015 18:12

I just wrote a long post about my trip to OSHKOSH 2015. It was lost to the vagaries of the posting system. In a few words, let me say that he PEOPLE I met and encountered were what made this all worthwhile. Airshows are Airshows and OSH is simply the biggest and probably the best. But the incredible nature of the people I encountered are what made it special!

Dale

Holcombe

Post by Holcombe » Sun Jul 26, 2015 18:38

Half way home and the same spirit is here in the middle of Montana as someone took time out of his day to search the field for just the right AN bolt I needed.
Avaitors are special because we care.

John Baker

Post by John Baker » Sun Jul 26, 2015 22:16

Aeroncateers,

My wife Sukey and I returned home from Oshkosh Saterday evening, driving over two days. We had a good time, though I did not get to see everything or everyone I wanted to see. I looked for Richard Holcombe's Champ but misremembered the location and did not go far enough south. I did see a very impressive prewar "stick" Chief in the Vintage parking area. Ray and Judy Johnson were most gracious, providing cart rides back to the parking lot when my stamina ran out. Ray's Chief looks as good as ever. Ray does a fantastic job at the Vintage Interview Circle, and we enjoyed sitting in the new bleachers to watch. I had hoped to spend more time with Aeroncateers and at Aeronca activities, but it did not work out.

We especially enjoyed the seaplane base, programs at the museum, and the Stinson Club dinner. I did get to spend time with some of my Stinson friends and saw most of the Stinsons that participated in the mass fly-in. Sukey loved seeing the Goodyear blimp and searching for the right souvenir t-shirt. The Airbus 350 was impressive when it departed, putting on a bit of an air show.

I have one more Oshkosh story: While scooting around on the rental "mobility" cart I rented one day, my wallet slipped from my pocket, unbeknownst to me. Thanks to the combined efforts of air show security staff, AmEx, and the volunteers at the Vintage Operations building, my fully intact wallet and I were reunited in a short time. Only at Oshkosh!

Tailwinds...
John Baker
Ophelia, Virginia
http://www.hangar9aeroworks.com
Aeronca Champ N1642E

Holcombe

Post by Holcombe » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:48

https://picasaweb.google.com/rhawleyhol ... directlink
Not much of a theme to these, just pointed at things that caught my eye.
But a long cross country in a small plane is a great way to clear the head of the clutter of events with which we deal, but have little control.