NEW McDowell starters and parts available!!!

Everything about your Aeronca, not Chief or Champ or Sedan specific.
joea
Site Admin

NEW McDowell starters and parts available!!!

Post by joea » Wed May 11, 2016 09:30

Excellent news!! Our own Colie Pitts and Don Jones have been busy!! Copied from the fAA email list!
~~~~~
Just want to put out a little information to anyone that may be interested in McDowell starters on their Aeroncas or any other airplane with small Continental engines. Don Jones and I are currently making all parts needed for kits for A 65, C 75,85, & 90 HP engines, and flange shaft and tapered shaft engines.

These items include starter mounts, pulleys and pulley brackets, fairleads, handles, boots , shims , spacers and special nuts and bolts. We currently have 6-8 starters, 6-8 tapered and flange shaft ratchet wheels. Our goal is to have enough parts for spares and to make up kits for all combinations.

Later this summer will make the bolt on brackets and handles for the Champ. If the interest is sufficent, we will start making a limited number of new starters and ratchet wheels. We will start up an E-BAY store shortly with everything listed separately and as a kit, with pictures and info needed.

Anyone wanting any information on what you need or any questions, can contact me by E-mail. Would like any feedback or a poll on what you may want, to help us determine quanities to be made in the future. I have helped out 10 to 12 Chiefs in the last 2 years get everything they needed an installed on their Chiefs including the only McDowell in the UK. Currently have 5 Champs on the want list.

Let me know if interested and what you may need. Plan on having everything for all combinations . Remember Ray Johnson has the spinners and backing plates for tapered and flange shafts and metal and wooden props.
--
colie pitts

hangerash

Re: NEW McDowell starters and parts available!!!

Post by hangerash » Mon May 16, 2016 17:16

Indeed excellent news for our Aeronca community!

Thanks so much Colie and Don for tackling this task.
Richard

colie85857

Post by colie85857 » Mon May 16, 2016 18:57

The making of all the misc pieces for all the combinations of engine, shaft and airframes is very time consuming alone. ordering up materials and trying to look down the road at next step and order of making what parts next is underway right now with Don in Manila right now and me in S Ga., and communicating by e mail. Maybe see some daylite in a week or so.

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Tue May 17, 2016 08:41

colie85857 wrote:The making of all the misc pieces for all the combinations of engine, shaft and airframes is very time consuming alone. ordering up materials and trying to look down the road at next step and order of making what parts next is underway right now with Don in Manila right now and me in S Ga., and communicating by e mail. Maybe see some daylite in a week or so.
Colie,

If you need any parts to duplicate, I am glad to help. Paul Angelotis out in NorCal made some brackets that bolt to the engine to guide the cable and sent me one of them, so if you need one of these to copy please let me know.

Joe A

colie85857

Post by colie85857 » Tue May 17, 2016 09:56

Hi Joe, Right now have and working on everything except bolt on firewall pulley bracket and bolt on pull handle bracket and pull handle all for a Champ. Have a Mcdowell drawing named Aeronca other with part #s , but not enough detail for making the items, just installation. If anybody has those items to loan out, would surely appreciate it.