Non-TSO'd equipment

Everything about your Aeronca, not Chief or Champ or Sedan specific.
ANHarder

Non-TSO'd equipment

Post by ANHarder » Sun May 25, 2014 20:33

I was browsing instruments (the used Alcor EGT I put in the Chief was DOA) and noticed this caveat attached to an ad for a digital CHT/EGT monitor:
"Note: This unit is non-TSO’d and is for use in Experimental and light-sport aircraft and aircraft not having a Type Certificate prohibiting the use of non-TSO’d radios and equipment."

What an interesting phrase: "...and aircraft not having a Type Certificate prohibiting the use of non-TSO'd radios and equipment."

I've never noticed that phrase included in any ads for non-TSO'd stuff before. TC A761 doesn't say a darned thing about TSO'd equipment. I started browsing FARs, and haven't found much guidance.

Does anyone have experience here? Could we use, for instance, a Garmin GTR-200 comm? Or LSA engine monitors? Hmmmm.
Alan Harder
Terre Haute IN

Paul Agaliotis

Re: Non-TSO'd equipment

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Tue May 27, 2014 17:05

The equipment only needs to be TSO'd if the FAR's require it. For us little guys that would be the Transponder and the ELT. This is for fixed wing, rotary wing is slightly different.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

Aeroncachamp

Post by Aeroncachamp » Sun Jun 08, 2014 20:28

Last year I ask Bill Pancake the same question for my 1946 Champ and he replied that the only TSO parts required for my Champ were
1. Tires
2. ELT
3. Seatbelts
4. Fabric
5. Radio if installed

bob turner

Post by bob turner » Mon Jun 09, 2014 21:04

I don't think the radio requires a TSO. Could be wrong.

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Mon Jun 09, 2014 23:07

Bob,
In airplanes no TSO, fling-wings need to have TSO'd radios. The KX-170 is the Dodge Dart of radios, and not TSO'd. But the KX-175 is a carbon copy and is TSO'd, for the rotary wing crowd. Most of the stuff available, that you would want to use, is TSO'd.
These little planes are from a time before this kind of stuff. Remember that the TSO is a minimum standard, doesn't mean it's a better product in any way.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

Captgrumps

Post by Captgrumps » Thu Jun 12, 2014 00:32

Hand held's are radios and they aren't TSO'd--TSO stuff is you want to play big money boy file IFR ad infinitum...TSO stuff you need it you file IFR...Example how many of you have had your altimeter checked for IFR? We deal in simple airplanes that complex minds try to confuse and screw up.
New owners need to go to a small town airport and find an old timer that was weaned on these airplanes--the current FAA considers them a nuisance. And big airport maintenance folks do also, your bill will prove it. You usually are paying them to learn.
Keep the pointed end forward--
The dirty side down.....
And the blue skies on top....

Captgrumps

Post by Captgrumps » Thu Jun 12, 2014 00:33

Hand held's are radios and they aren't TSO'd--TSO stuff is you want to play big money boy file IFR ad infinitum...TSO stuff you need it you file IFR...Example how many of you have had your altimeter checked for IFR? We deal in simple airplanes that complex minds try to confuse and screw up.
New owners need to go to a small town airport and find an old timer that was weaned on these airplanes--the current FAA considers them a nuisance. And big airport maintenance folks do also, your bill will prove it. You usually are paying them to learn.
Keep the pointed end forward--
The dirty side down.....
And the blue skies on top....

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Jun 12, 2014 19:50

Grumps (where did he get that name ? :? ) is right. I think actually the original Champs had a 'non-sensitive altimeter' plus a war surplus magneto switch and a bunch of off the shelf parts. He's also right about the big maintenance shops learning on your dime. They don't have a clue about tube and fabric, wood spars or a Stromberg carburetor (what no accelerator pump, mixture control is wired full rich :shock: ) call the FAA!!! One of the best aircraft mechanics I knew over the years just died (81)and he never had a license but he did some outstanding restorations.

B PANCAKE

Post by B PANCAKE » Thu Jun 12, 2014 21:07

In response to the TSO equipment I don't think I said radios but did say transponders and encoders. Radios are not required to be TSO for your Aeronca. I hope this clarifies the TSO (Technical Standard Order) requirement. Looking forward to see every one next week in Middletown and Oshkosh in July. I will be doing a forum on Staurday approximately 1 PM at Middletown and on Wednesday July 30th from 11:30 to 12:45 at Oshkosh. The Forum will be in Forum Building 4.