Rotating Beacon/ Position Lights

Everything about your Aeronca, not Chief or Champ or Sedan specific.
n727gs

Rotating Beacon/ Position Lights

Post by n727gs » Thu Sep 11, 2014 21:12

Wrapping up the wiring on my '60 7EC/FC prior to covering the fuselage and I have a question about the rotating beacon. I bought my airplane apart and have found no indication it had a beacon on it. I looked through the Type Certificate paperwork and it notes drawing 4-1020 but does not note if it is optional or not. None of the pictures I have taken of other airplanes show a beacon. Anyone know for sure? It's got position lights and strobes and I would like to be able to fly it at night.

Also, I was reading through Whelen's website about strobes, and they mention that one of their tail strobes can be substituted for the beacon. Does that apply to the rear position light, too? I modified one of those teardrop tail position lights that mounts on the top of the rudder to take one of the wing-tip strobe elements but it looks like I might have to have a steady white position light back there anyway.

Thanks in advance,
Steve near Chicago

Paul Agaliotis

Re: Rotating Beacon/ Position Lights

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Fri Sep 12, 2014 00:29

Steve,
I have a 7ECA that has the beacon on the belly just forward of the tail spring. The mount is held in place using a C channel fitting around the lower longeron. The mount slides into place and a spring pulls it back, the spring is secured to a tab at the tail wheel spring bolt. I've seen other Champion built planes like this. Bellanca put them up on the back with an aluminum bracket between the formers.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

bob turner

Re: Rotating Beacon/ Position Lights

Post by bob turner » Mon Dec 08, 2014 14:20

There are special rules for older airplanes. The one you need to pay attention to is the one about lateral coverage. Usually the top of the rudder is more than adequate, and easy to get signed off.