DeRegistration of Aeroncas

Everything about your Aeronca, not Chief or Champ or Sedan specific.
Champ Dreamer

Re: DeRegistration of Aeroncas

Post by Champ Dreamer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 14:56

A fellow I knew in Texas several years ago had a Chief on a trailer ready for re-build. He Assembled it (hung a borrowed engine and prop) then photographed it, explaining that is was "stripped and ready for re-cover". They sent him an AW cert. He was convinced that if he left it in pieces, they would have rejected his request. Makes sense, it looked like an airplane.

Brian Walker

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Sun Feb 22, 2015 17:58

Its no wonder that people will sell log books and registration plates from aircraft still shown in the registry, but that are long gone. The whole thing is silly. Understand full inspection, which is what they did with my 7CCM when it came back across the boarder from Canada.

Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

brink

Post by brink » Sun Nov 18, 2018 13:29

I just went thru this on my Champ, it had not been registered in about 30 years, only bills of sale were sent to OKC, it was stored in a sea land container, for that period of time. After a ground loop accident, I didn’t realize what was done until I was given the disc from OKC, I had a paper copy made from the disc, that’s when I realized the OH Shit. I mailed my the bill of sale and Registration Certificate to OKC. About 40 days later I received a letter, that informed me the N number and serial number was cancelled due to Registration non Complience. By the previous 4/owners. I wrote a letter requesting the original N Number and serial Number if not already reassigned, to be reassigned to me. About 30 days later I got another letter stating the NNumber and Serial Number had not been reassigned, and they would honor my request, providing I comply with their request and attempt to contact thru a written request the 4 previous owners, had no interest or claim against my Aircraft. I wrote 4 registered certified letters to the 4 Previous Owners using the bill of sale addresses. Out of the 4 addressed letters only one returned with my signed request, the 3 others were returned non deliverable. That took me 6 months. I sent the returned letters and the one letter that was delivered.to OKC, About 40 days later I get another letter from OKC, requesting $10.00 and another $5.00 for reregistration. I comply and about 30 days later on my 72nd birthday I,get my registration certificate which expires in March of 2021. Nice present. I originally purchased the Champ In February, on the 5th. It took about 8 months to clear up the path of registration.

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Sun Nov 18, 2018 22:56

Glad you got that resolved. The thread of this story is Aeronca's that have been destroyed. Cancellation is pretty easy to deal with but once declared destroyed, it brings a whole bunch of new steps into the registration process.
I was able to get some insight from one of the near-by FSDO's and this problem can now be overcome.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

brink

Post by brink » Mon Nov 19, 2018 16:40

Hello Paul I am on my last Champ, all I can afford, and be happy when I get her in the air, your positive attitude will get her done, just play the game, even tho it’s crazy and makes no sense, your kind persistence will pay off, trust me, you can do it friend, my hat and solute is of to ya , go get them!