Thrust

Everything about your Aeronca, not Chief or Champ or Sedan specific.
rkittine

Thrust

Post by rkittine » Mon Apr 02, 2018 07:51

I know that in our little birds, the calculation of Thrust, does not seem to come up much. Does anyone know about how much thrust a stock A-50 or A-65 can produce at Red Line with the propeller normally used?

Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

Paul Agaliotis

Re: Thrust

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Mon Apr 02, 2018 23:56

Bob,
There are a lot of variables that come into play with this calculation. Speed of the aircraft and the speed of the propeller effect the angle of attack of the propeller blade. Density of the air and propeller disc also play into it.
Wood props are going to be different than metal due to the centrifugal twisting forces and aerodynamic twisting forces.
he best way to determine your thrust is to hook up a dynamometer from the tai to a stump and give it a go.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Tue Apr 03, 2018 07:04

Thank Paul. I understand the inaccuracies of trying to calculate this, but wondered if like, say turbine engines, if they have some Rated Thrust. A friend is trying to determine the relationship to this and his newly build airboat, which of course depending on what media it is on has much difference movement resistance.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Fri Apr 06, 2018 16:58

Tie a spring scale (guess the size, 600 pounds maybe) to an immovable object and the other end to the tail of your plane. Slowly advance the trottle with someone reading the thrust in pounds. It will get you in the ballpark. Oviously if the scale max out, you'll need a larger scale or if it does move very much, you'll need a smaller one.

It would be interesting to know what readings you get.

Dennis

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Fri Apr 06, 2018 22:54

Bob,
The thrust calculations are generally reserved for turbojets and turbofans by their design, for comparison. Our little engines, and turbo-shafts and turbo-props are torque producing engines and use horsepower as the comparison factors. It's not as cut and dry as just horsepower and thrust.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Sat Apr 07, 2018 06:20

I understand about the HP Vs. Thrust situation and actually don't really care about it for my airplanes. If the engine gets me up in the area, helps me scoot around and some reasonable pace and gets me home, I am fine. This is for an A-65 mounted on a two pontoon air boat. Should be jut fine for over the water, but trying to find out what it MIGHT do over, Ice, Reeds and on land, which I do not expect will work at all.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com