Fuel Survey

Everything about your Aeronca, not Chief or Champ or Sedan specific.
dikholder

Re: Fuel Survey

Post by dikholder » Fri Nov 21, 2014 08:33

I am about to start flying my Sedan with the original C-145 Continental on it. All the responses that I see here are from C-85 drivers. I am a big believer in MMO. But I would like to know just how much I should add to 100LL. I dont intend to use Auto gas despite the high cost of 100LL in AK.

Dik Holder, N1441H, Queen of the Berry Patch.

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Tue Mar 10, 2015 19:39

Dik,

Most people just put a couple of "glug's" into the tank then refill it immediately.

Worked for me for years!

Joe A

SteveF

Post by SteveF » Wed Mar 11, 2015 06:06

The container and the website suggest:

How much Marvel Mystery Oil® (MMO) do I put in my gasoline tank?
Marvel recommends using 4oz of MMO for every 10 gallons of gasoline.

I had a C170B with an O-300B and had very good results, no stuck valves, using TCP. Also put half a pint of MMO
in the oil about an hour before oil change to help keep the engine clean. Had oil sump problem once and it is really
tough getting it fixed or replaced so started using MMO before an oil change.

Do the same now with my 7DC - Sometimes MMO or sometimes TCP in fuel and MMO before oil changes.

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Sun Mar 15, 2015 18:11

thanks Steve. Since 4 ounces per 10 gals seems a little more guessproof than glugs, I may try that. I already put MMO in my Oil before turning the engine over the first times. That was recommended to me by an old friend who had been an A@P for decades. Since I am still using aeroshell, there is some carbon in my engine and that should help. With 18 gallon tanks that should work out to 6 or 7 ounces per side.

Dik Holder, N1441H, Queen of the Berry Patch

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Mar 15, 2015 20:36

Nothing to do with MM but I've pulled a couple of oil tanks that have been in service for a number of years and found a lot of sludge around the pickup tube. Could be because they only got a 'once a year at annual changes' and/or not getting up to temperature enough to boil the moisture out. Just an observation.
Mike