Nice to be here...

Just want to say "Hi"? You can do it here.
2I2

Nice to be here...

Post by 2I2 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:40

Just thought I'd say hello. I've always had a soft spot for Aeroncas, having been born and raised in Dayton, OH. I'm looking for what I'd call the "basic airplane". Less is more is my dictum.

I've got 10 hours of Sport Pilot instruction in Cubs. I never was real comfortable in them. I'm 6'5" and it seemed when using the pedals my feet were always rubbing something. I've told folks the Cub was a fine plane for me with the front seat out, but my instructor wouldn't go for that...

There is an instructor doing SP training in Danville with a Champ, about a half hour from me. I'll be picking it back up once work has me stop working so much overtime. Much better than the Cub, since my legs don't have to splay, and I can fly from the front, A Champ swallows all of me pretty nicely- except for my size 12 right foot that needs some forcing though the door. After a lot of wavering and research, I figure SP is the way to go. I can show up with my DL and birth certificate and start flying. The flying I'll be likely to do is all within SP limits anyway.

My interest is in Chiefs, pre- and postwar. Side by side seems to work better for me in terms of ingress and egress, as well as the seating position. From what I can glean, generally the prewar Chief seems to be a better flyer, more agile. The postwar Chiefs seem to be better tourers with room to grow engine wise and stay in LSA rules. I know I can vouch for the touring part, as my cousin and her husband took a stock 11AC from Dayton to Mexico City in 1955 for their honeymoon (he only had 50 hours, by the way).

Looks like an Aeronca will be my choice- numerous advantages...
Dennis Nichols
Versailles, KY

james gevay

Re: Nice to be here...

Post by james gevay » Sun Jun 26, 2011 19:04

Welcome Dennis!
You picked a great little plane to fly, although I think the Champ is a better plane than the Chief. Easier to get in and out of, better visibility, you don't have that pesky passenger blocking your view and crowding your elbow all the time.
All kidding aside, all Aeroncas are fun little planes.

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sun Jun 26, 2011 19:24

Welcome on board and lots of good people here.

The taller people seem to do better in the post-war Chiefs as the cockpits are a bit larger. I have had 2 of them and loved them until I flew a Sedan!

Joe A

Griphos

Post by Griphos » Sun Jun 26, 2011 19:43

Welcome. I got my SP training in a newer LSA, but then did my tailwheel endorsement in a Champ. No going back for me! Always wanted to fly low and slow and basic anyway. For me, side by side was the deciding factor. My kids and my wife don't want to fly looking at the back of my head. :-)

I've never flown a pre-war, so can't advise, but I love my '46 Chief! It's a little tight for two, but not bad. I'm a lot shorter than you, but perhaps as wide. :-) It's great to be able to put the chart or iPad on the seat next to me, or have my passenger hold it for me.

Perhaps you can find someone in your area and get a ride.
Phil
11AC N86249

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:27

Glad you're here Dennis. SP is a great way to get into these old airplanes in a fast and economical way. Be sure to ask Adam about flying the Champ solo once you're SP rated.

I grew up in Danville, and looks like I'm moving back in a month or 2. Hopefully we can meet up some day.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

2I2

Post by 2I2 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 04:22

Well let me know when you get in the neighborhood, and I'll give you the ways to contact me

... yes, if I heard him right, the Champ can always be rented.

L-3's are getting interesting to me now as well...
Dennis Nichols
Versailles, KY

flyboy1964

Post by flyboy1964 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 09:53

I'm 6'4" and have a 47 chief and love it. Hope you find the right one and enjoy it as much as I am.
John Evers, 'Keep on draggin'

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Fri Jul 01, 2011 08:42

Only detriment on the L-3's is that they have very limited fuel range. Believe its something like 12 gallons so you are looking for an airport after two hours flight or so...

Have several friends who have them and love them but cross country flying is somewhat limited.

2I2

Post by 2I2 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 01:00

Yes, I noticed that Joe as I've been researching- and I'm assuming a prewar Chief would be close to an L-3. Of course a postwar Chief with the aux tank and a 65 (and possibly an 85) would require a Stadium Pal.

If I remember correctly, my instructor on the J-3's said to figure on 2 1/2 hours, plus reserve. We used 65 and 85 HP Cubs with the standard 12 gallons. Dunno, he might have shaved off a half hour total for the 85. Any 65 HP prewar, or L-3 should be quite close to that, I figure.

As far as my range requirements go, I plan on going to my sister's in Madison, GA a lot. Depending on the airport I'd fly from, I'd be looking at approximately 250-280 nm direct. Nonstop would be nice, but in planes like these, I still figure one stop. I know that with weather and wind, endurance won't always mean progress. If the gods are with me, I might make that in less than 4 hours- if they are angry, more like 5+. That's the farthest I'd go on a regular basis.

Anyway, one can never have too much landing practice, right? :D I'm a gawker when I fly so low and slow is just fine...

With the above in mind- and the fact that most can't stand more than 3 hours in about any 2-seater- 2 1/2 hours is my "plannable" (or is that "ideal?) figure. If I came across something came remarkable on a good L-3, I'd give is serious consideration. Nonetheless, I have to wait until work gets back to normal to return to instruction!
Dennis Nichols
Versailles, KY

Lostdutchman

Post by Lostdutchman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 18:08

joea wrote:Only detriment on the L-3's is that they have very limited fuel range. Believe its something like 12 gallons so you are looking for an airport after two hours flight or so...

I have to look for a bathroom every two hours so that could work perfect. I have 26gal in the champ. Usually have to pee before I run out of fuel. The only time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire. been there not fun.
Jason Vink
2502B
1947 L16A