Repairing EDO 2000 floats

All about Aeroncas on floats
harmonii

Repairing EDO 2000 floats

Post by harmonii » Tue Jan 05, 2016 09:10

So I am repairing my EDO 2000 float bottoms and they were in OK shape, wanted to document the process a bit and i know people will have some input as I go along.

The bottoms had a couple cracks at the VERY AFT portion of the bottom before the step.
The keelsons were worn so much that they were paper thin over the skeg.
The skegs were worn.

I'll try top figure out how to attach pictures.

I removed 3' of keelson, the skegs and two small panels (4" by 5") with the most damage.

All the aluminum is 2024 T3, and the skin is .040. I will use a .090 doubler where I splice the keel.

That's where I am at currently. Per AC 43.13 1B I think the 5.5" by 6.5" patches will be OK. 1) One edge is at the back (step), and 2) the inner edge is under the keel, 3) the forward edge is over the stiffener underlapping the existing skin, and has 2 rows of rivets, and 4) the outside edge underlaps the existing skin and the booster, and also has 2 rows of rivets. Any other suggestions?
Live on Lake, seaplane in back yard....

hangerash

Re: Repairing EDO 2000 floats

Post by hangerash » Tue Jan 05, 2016 14:20

The picture posting is pretty simple once you accept this forum doesn't have the storage space to archieve and store all sizes of images. So you have to have someplace that you can store your image and then be able to share it. Picassa, PhotoBucket, someone's private web server are all options available.

First upload your photo to your favorite site.

Second generate a URL address to share or in some cases when you click on your photo, copy the address that shows up in your URL window (highlight and then ctrl-c).

Third click on Img displayed in the buttons above and then paste (ctrl-v) your link in the middle between these two

If all this doesn't make sense, email the photos to me and I will post them for you.

Good luck.
Richard

harmonii

Post by harmonii » Wed Jan 06, 2016 14:37

Thanks, it just took me a minute to find the password for my FTP site :)

OK so here is one float showing wear (top and side views)
http://www.pierce1.net/pictures/hap/float1.JPG
http://www.pierce1.net/pictures/hap/float2.JPG

Other float showing wear and cracks:
http://www.pierce1.net/pictures/hap/float3.JPG

After removing keelson
http://www.pierce1.net/pictures/hap/float4.JPG
http://www.pierce1.net/pictures/hap/float5.JPG

And after removing the damaged aluminum and boosters
http://www.pierce1.net/pictures/hap/float6.JPG

ps: I did try the inline image method, but they were large, the url method seemed to be neater.

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Thu Jan 07, 2016 06:01

thanks for sharing those pics of your floats. They make me feel much better about my EDO 2000s for my Sedan. Mine were installed on the plane in Jun of 1950. So, they must be 50 or older production. They were stolen once and the thief removed the data plates in an attempt to conceal the theft. Didnt work, the former owner was able to recover the floats. My problem is I have no idea what their serial numbers are. Are yours from that timeframe, and do they have serial numbers you can read?

Dik Holder, N1441H, Queen of the Berry Patch

harmonii

Post by harmonii » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:03

Yes, mine have the data plates they were made the same year the plane was, September of 1949. I'll get a pic of the data plates for you.

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Sat Jan 09, 2016 08:13

Kenmore Air or even Ed Peck should be able to supply you bland EDO Data plates. Maybe JJ Frey can help with tracking down more information about your floats. I am not sure if he is a member here, but you can contact him on the SPA forum or let me know and I will send you his contact information and Eds if you don't have his.

Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Mon Jan 11, 2016 03:12

Bob:

I have a set of blank EDO dataplates. When I talked to EDO about this they said that using my blank plates was unauthorized. If I cant find the serial numbers on the floats(they said they should be there under the porkchop mounts) then I would have to have the FAA declare them lost and fill out a form for me to send back to EDO to get them to issue new numbers for $140. There was no trace of the serial numbers in my paperwork, just the model numbers, and I have yet to find them on the floats. I plan to strip and repaint the floats in the next few months and I hope to find the numbers during that process.

thanks

Dik Holder, n1441H, Queen of the Berry Patch

harmonii

Post by harmonii » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:48

How long have he floats been associated with the airplane? Have you tried the FAA database? They record every major modification under your N number and will send you a CD for very little cost, perhaps the SN of the floats are there? Just a thought. -H

harmonii

Post by harmonii » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:54

Dik, from looking at your plane, the rear float mounts are not there. Are the 2000's for another plane?

harmonii

Post by harmonii » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:54

I don't know why every time I post I end up with 2 posts!
Last edited by harmonii on Wed Jan 27, 2016 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Tue Jan 12, 2016 18:56

Dik, Give me a call when you have time. 631.374.9652

Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Thu Jan 14, 2016 17:40

Harmoni: I took the rear mounts off last year when I recovered the plane, just have not put them back on yet. These floats have been with this plane for 65 years, except for the short time when they were stolen. I got the printed FAA maint records, but there is nothing there with serial numbers for the floats. The plane was bought at the factory, then flown to Fairbanks where the floats were installed about a month later. June of 50.

Bob, I will give you a call.

Dik