Champ seaplane door pictures

All about Aeroncas on floats
flyingjack

Champ seaplane door pictures

Post by flyingjack » Thu Aug 30, 2018 18:00

Hello from CO; new to this site. 1948 7DC w/ O 200 conv. I want to convert door to a seaplane door to make it safer for me to prop from the back and be able to easily reach the throttle/mags/fuel off. Could someone take pics of door hinge attachments to frame and door; frame and door bracket for shock as well as whatever type of latch was used. I got the 337 from Robert Kittine, who has been very helpful; I just need clear pics for my mechanic. If possible, pics could be texted to me. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jack Horn 303-356-7767 or jackehorn@aol.com

hangerash

Re: Champ seaplane door pictures

Post by hangerash » Sun Sep 02, 2018 09:48

Well I read your other post first and if you have the 337 for acceptable data I cannot provide further help.

The copy 337 I recall seeing was very detailed and an A&P would not need a picture to aid them. It simply is a full span hinge attached to the door frame and door, the addition of a gas shock asorber to hold the door open, and a modification to the door handle to keep it latched.
Richard

flyingjack

Post by flyingjack » Fri Sep 14, 2018 08:43

Looking for someone to take a few pictures with their phone and text them to me. 303-356-7767

Thanks
Jack

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Sat Sep 15, 2018 08:52

Jack, As you know I sent you pictures of mine. You just need to blow them up so you can see more detail than they show on your phone. I also sent you some pictures today of another one, done much the same way, but with the piston at the back rather than the front, a more substantial door opening arrangement (used a Cessna Door Lock vertically) and a frame with Plexiglass to duplicate the stock door.

Here are some points that might help your mechanic:
1. - The hinge is a piano hinge attached to the top of the door and the top of the door frame. It spans the whole horizontal portion and the FSDO required it be S/S including the attachment screws.
2. - The attachment of the upper end of the piston is to a welded on piece of steel where the flat edge is screwed to the door frame and the 90 degree larger flat part has the attachement for the rotating screw to hold the upper end of the piston as it rotates through its arc as the door goes up or down.
3. - The lower end of the piston is a washer and both arrangement at the junction of the front steel tubes of the airframe.
4. - The hinge pins where just removed from the original door attachment and kept for the future.
5. - A slit was made in the middle of the lower panel of the door, where the rod comes out with the ball on (same ball as used on the trim handle) Inside the 90degree bend of that shaft goes downward supported by frame and spring that keeps the vertical pin down through the bottom of the door frame and into the hole make in the lower door opening. When the inside is pulled up or the knob outside is pulled up, the pin comes out the hole and the door can be swung up.
6. - A standard simple door handle is used on the inside of the door as a grip to pull the door down to close or to push the door up to open. On the outside, when you pull up on the knob, you pull out and the door starts to open upward.

Blow up all the pictures that I send you as I tried to take more and with a flash in the enclosed area I get too much reflected light and with no flash either dark or washed out (depending on the aperture) finished pictures.

Good luck. If you A&P is good, he will figure out how to put this together as the 337 covers the concept and overall parts more than specifics.

Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com