How to disassemble Scott 3-24B Steering arm

Landing gear, wheels, brakes and tailwheels for all aircraft.
Jerry Jackson

How to disassemble Scott 3-24B Steering arm

Post by Jerry Jackson » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:10

I have two Scott 3-24B tailwheels that need repairs to their steering arm assemblies. They appear to be led together with two rivets. Can anyone advise how to disassemble them?

Jerry Jackson
San Antonio
Jerry Jackson
San Antonio
7ECA 65TC
8T8

hangerash

Re: How to disassemble Scott 3-24B Steering arm

Post by hangerash » Tue Jan 08, 2019 17:22

Jerry-

I am trying to picture the 3-24B

Does this look anything like it?

Richard

Jerry Jackson

Post by Jerry Jackson » Wed Jan 09, 2019 08:45

Yes, that is it. I want to disassemble part #4.

Jerry
Jerry Jackson
San Antonio
7ECA 65TC
8T8

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Wed Jan 09, 2019 13:57

Jerry,
This part is not designed to be rebuilt. Most people replace it and try to clean up the shaft where the flats "lock" into place. Prices of this part have climbed pretty steep. I would look at the Aviation Products tail wheel. You can install the complete tail wheel for the price of the steering arm.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

Jerry Jackson

Post by Jerry Jackson » Wed Jan 09, 2019 17:39

Paul

I agree with both points----it wasn't made to be serviced and the API unit is cheaper and better than the Scott. However, I just wanted to know what was inside so I proceeded to open it up. It was pretty easy to get it apart and I have cleaned it. If my interests hold out I will take pictures and write a description of how to open it and how it could be put back together again..

When I opened it I found that the problem with this particular unit was that the case was packed with a mixture of dried grease mixed with dirt. There is no way to seal dirt out of the unit. Frequent greasing would wash some of the dirt out but the flow path will not reach some areas. If I really wanted to keep one of these working then I think I would try to clean the interior by soaking and pressure washing it with warm, soapy ammonia water. It does not contain any material that would be damaged by that treatment provided it was promptly flushed, dried, and lubricated.

Jerry
Jerry Jackson
San Antonio
7ECA 65TC
8T8

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Thu Jan 10, 2019 01:57

Jerry-

Really interested in reading your solution for opening, cleaning, and reassembling the steering arm. Hope you stay motivated.

If using your suggested non-invasive method of flushing/cleaning the part, would there still esist a flow issue to properly lubricate the cleaned part?

Richard
Richard

Jerry Jackson

Post by Jerry Jackson » Thu Jan 10, 2019 07:44

That's a good question. I will attempt to answer it by assembling the unit dry, pumping it full of grease, rotation all the parts in an attempt of spreading the grease, and then disassembling it to see how well it was lubricated. Stay tuned.

JJ
Jerry Jackson
San Antonio
7ECA 65TC
8T8

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Thu Jan 10, 2019 09:57

Jerry,
The two arms aside are heat treated. It's been rumored that welding up the arms where the fit into the slot on the steering stem doesn't hold up. This tail wheel locking mechanism needs to have tension springs installed to keep it locked straight.
With the age of these tail wheels, I see many people struggling to keep them in service.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046