The latest Aeronca Aviator

Landing gear, wheels, brakes and tailwheels for all aircraft.
Carl Prather

The latest Aeronca Aviator

Post by Carl Prather » Wed Nov 26, 2014 05:26

On pages 12 and 13 of the October 2014 Aeronca Aviator shows drawing 3-486 from the American Champion. Note #6 lists the Aviation Products tailwheel as a choice for most of the 7 and 11 series Aeroncas. These tailwheels cost in the mid $200's, saving us some serious money. Getting information like this is just one benefit of being a member of the Aeronca Aviator's club.

I ask everyone who owns or enjoys Aeroncas to please join the Aeronca Aviator's club. For the price of about one hour's fuel a year, one can get collective experience of Robert Szego, Cy Galley, Colie Pitts, David Rude, Carl White, Tom Roush, Joe Abrahamson, Craig MacVeigh (I know I'm skating on thin ice with the last two guys!) and many others whose names escape me right now.

Carl

hangerash

Re: The latest Aeronca Aviator

Post by hangerash » Wed Nov 26, 2014 13:26

Carl,
Thanks for sharing the news regarding the tailwheel. I had a different experience with the Aeronca Aviators. They were the first club I joined and found very little support from Robert Szego when the site experienced problems. This forum of the National Aeronca Association and a maillist for the fearless-Aeronca Aviators far eclipsed any questions I found answered on the site you cited.
Richard

Red(neck) Barron

Post by Red(neck) Barron » Fri Nov 28, 2014 13:20

I learned about the API tailwheel right here on this forum. Many comments were extremely positive, especially from Paul Agaliotis. On those recommendations I ordered one and put it on my Champ and was a happy pilot ever after.

My point being, I know nothing about the Aeronca Aviators but if it's Aeronca related, it's somewhere in this forum, complete with first hand experience.
Larry H
Sigourney, IA
Formally N84619, N84149 & N84069 - all1946 7AC's; also N57430 a 7ECA
Currently N91RA 7GCAA (Still a Champ, just grown up some)

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Fri Nov 28, 2014 19:50

Larry,
I'm glad it worked for you. I have been completely satisfied with the API tail wheels. If more people would take a look at these tail wheels, I believe there would be many satisfied Aeronca owners.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Nov 28, 2014 20:24

I also put an API tail wheel on my L16. Works great and doesn't shake the fillings out of my teeth like the old pneumatic Maule did. The guy that bought my 7AC also put an API on it (my suggestion).The bad news: by the time we got the annual done we need skis instead of a tai lwheel.

Regarding the Aeronca Aviators club I need to investigate it. Can't have too much information.

Mike

sevenacjack

Post by sevenacjack » Sun Nov 30, 2014 16:07

I had a old, "real old" scott 2000 on my 7AC champ, and yes it unlocked on me a few times, and last week during a five ship formation takeoff it did it for the last time, today I installed a nice looking API 6131 tail wheel, now maybe I can takeoff without my left heel ready to hit the brake pedal. smil'n again, jack

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:05

Here is a view of 3-486-P if anyone needs it.

FULL PDF file here http://aeronca.celinaux.com/pics/3-486-P.pdf

Richard
Richard

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Dec 01, 2014 20:01

I like the idea of an 3/16 eye bolt on the rudder arm to prevent wearing out the 'spring hole' although it looks like there is a bushing on later models.
Mike

brink

Post by brink » Thu Dec 06, 2018 07:49

I just rebuilt my original tail wheel new bearings and new bushing the holes in the control fork that attaches to the spring I-had welded up and drilled new holes, also ordered a new set of the compression springs, I think my springs are Okay,I also ordered from Univair the rubber pads and spring retainer. I found a small box with the project, from Buzz Wagner a replacement new tail wheel tire.dated in the late 80s I plan on keeping my old tire, it’s really in good shape just a little worn on the tread compairing it to the new tire. I guess you can still order them new, I mostly plan on operating off a grass strip, in my 50 years in Aviation I’ve only seen one solid tire split,and come off the wheel.

brink

Post by brink » Fri Dec 21, 2018 04:09

I was also with the New York group and I prefer where I am at with NAA, several issues they have, more incline to the Newer style, I would really like to see our Group put out a Magazine again, even if they reposted the Jim Thompson issues, their were a lot of great topics, the older our planes get, we experience new problems, I am sure Aeronca never expected the Chief and Champ to last this long. But we are here and here we will stay. Just my thoughts and not ment to offend.