hangerash

Re: spark plugs ??

Post by hangerash » Sat Nov 19, 2016 18:56

Comanche in Ohio near Urbana
Richard

Rodney Zapf

Post by Rodney Zapf » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:57

Ohio is a long way from California. I am currently interested in a Piper Arrow with the 200 HP engine. Have one located in Arizona however there is another buyer, you know how that goes. Rod

Rodney Zapf

Post by Rodney Zapf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 22:05

I'm back working on my 0-145. I have now gapped the plugs to .025 in hopes of getting an easier start. (my old book says .025 gap for unshielded plugs) Sure wish I could find proper mags with a impulse coupler. I now have Bendix Suitcase mags SFR-4 and it seems that impulse couplers are not available for this mag. I have made up a plug tester and am getting a good spark with about a 1/8" gap (hand propping-no plugs in holes). This kind of spark oughta get'r going. If I don't sell this beauty I'm thinking of going Continental 65. I saw one the other day, hand propped from behind and it seemed to have twice the run-up power of my 0-145. (The guy may have been fibbing about the horsepower but he sure wasn't kidding about the start.) Rod

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Wed Feb 08, 2017 07:51

Rodney,
Many of the little Lycoming powered aircraft have been converted. The engine is a little down on power in comparison.

There shouldn't be any problem in starting. I license a Mooney Mite with the Lycoming and it starts with no effort. Keep the heads tight, a few of the nuts are hard to get to, but you need to check them.

Keep your ear to the ground and you can find engine parts. When you find them, buy them. This is the challenge of flying vintage aircraft.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046