Aux fuel tank

Pre-War Aeroncas
Captgrumps

Re: Aux fuel tank

Post by Captgrumps » Mon Apr 04, 2011 00:31

I had a prewar Chief (65CA)with aux tank that came with a somebody installed wobble pump to pump fuel into the main tank when it was below 1/2 full. Pump was located where the on/off valve is normally located.

Doug
Keep the pointed end forward--
The dirty side down.....
And the blue skies on top....

Rodney Zapf

Post by Rodney Zapf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:25

Rodney Zapf wrote:I filled my aux tank (behind the seat) for the first time since the total re-build on my '41 LB Chief--it does move the cg noticeably aft--requires a real shift of the trim.
As I said, filling the aft tank moved the cg aft and made a noticeable trim change. I had absolutely no trouble with flight characteristics. I generally keep fuel in the aft tank as I believe it has increased my cruise speed somewhat and I enjoy a 2nd source of fuel if needed. No problems with slow flight or landing.

Captgrumps

Post by Captgrumps » Mon Apr 11, 2011 23:24

An aft CG will increase speed. That is why some of the large jets carry fuel in aft tanks and in the tail.

Doug
Keep the pointed end forward--
The dirty side down.....
And the blue skies on top....

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:51

Grumps wrote:An aft CG will increase speed. That is why some of the large jets carry fuel in aft tanks and in the tail.

Doug
We still use this method even today in the jet. Works very well! :)

Joe

Rodney Zapf

Post by Rodney Zapf » Sun May 05, 2013 00:36

I donot have a wobble pump to move fuel from the aft tank forward, but I did fashion the overflow drain in such a manner that it would slightly pressurize the aft tank and ensure fuel flow forward when the valve to the aft tank was open. I use the aft tank for cruise flight only. Rod

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Sun May 05, 2013 15:57

Were there any placards for the use and operation of the factory aux tank? I have never flown one in an Aeronca product, but many in Cessnas were suppossed to be empty before you land. Others can only be used in level cruise flight. Those placards might be the key to safely operating one.

Bo Grave

Post by Bo Grave » Sun May 05, 2013 16:21

I have the Aux tank on my Champ and wouldn't want to be without it. It works perfect! Fly for an hour or a little more, transfer fuel to the fwd tank.

Bo Grave
N1663E
Eugene ( Bo ) Grave
A&P, IA, R&E
CHAMP
CHIEF
BONANZA

shorty

Re: aux tanks

Post by shorty » Sun May 05, 2013 21:23

davesabre60 wrote:we have a project in the works, a 41ca. the aux tank is round and fits behind the cargo sling. my question, our tank has a tear drop shaped flange attached near the filler neck. does this go inside or outside the fabric.
thanks dave
IIRC it goes outside the fabric.
It's purpose is to catch, and safely direct to the ground, any fuel spillage during re-fueling.
Thanx
Shorty

shorty

Post by shorty » Sun May 05, 2013 21:27

dikholder wrote:Were there any placards for the use and operation of the factory aux tank? I have never flown one in an Aeronca product, but many in Cessnas were suppossed to be empty before you land. Others can only be used in level cruise flight. Those placards might be the key to safely operating one.
I believe there was something to the effect of only to be used in level flight, when the main tank was at 1/2 full or less.
I'm certian that it's only to be used in level flight, as to the main tank thing, I think it was more of an idea that the aux tank could fill the main tank to overflowing, if used before the level in the main had dropped enough.
Thanx
Shorty

Dan Wagner

Post by Dan Wagner » Wed May 15, 2013 23:15

Richard

If you still have the axu. tank how much are you asking for it.

Dan Wagner
65LB33719

shorty

Post by shorty » Sun Jun 23, 2013 21:52

I think there is something in the owners manual about landing with full fuel in back and not full fuel in front.
I think you're supposed to transfer fuel in flight when the front tank gets near half.
But I think you can transfer fuel as you burn but be carful to not allow the front tank to get too full, and overflow.
As I understand it, the fuel will flow from back to front faster than it's being burned.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It's been a day or two since I've read the book.
Thanx
Shorty

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Mon Jun 24, 2013 16:23

Shorty,
There are a couple different aux tanks. The round one like you have for the 65CA mounts above and behind the baggage. My 65CA has the same tank. The 65C used a tank kind of behind the seat on the floor. I don't have a 65C (yet) but the one I'm looking at has the tank. The filler is behind the left door and uses a wobble pump to move the fuel.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046