Time to sell my '38 Chief

Pre-War Aeroncas
Clive

Time to sell my '38 Chief

Post by Clive » Wed May 23, 2012 15:02

Health reasons force me to seriously consider selling my '38 Chief which I've owned over 20 years. I haven't advertized it yet and I realize the market is pretty bad right now, so I'm not really sure how to price it. It needs some TLC and won't be expensive. I thought I'd post here first to ask what folks think and see if there's any interest.

It's currently hangared at a farm strip in S. Ontario, west of Toronto, reg C-GGJX. It was imported from California in the '70s when it used to be N21346. It had a major rebuild about 1980, the dacron fabric and dope are mostly ok but the cowling is rather battered and sorry looking. It has a Continental A-75 (although that's de-rated to 65 hp here in Canada). Four good compressions and it always starts first blade. I have one spare rebuilt 75 hp piston/cylinder assy. It has a custom made stainless steel exhaust and recent new 700x6 tires. No electrics of course but I used a motorcycle battery for the Icom handheld. It flies really nice although I haven't put many hours on it in recent years. The last annual expired back in September. I also have some of the old US logs and a lot of the history, bills-of-sale, letters from Aeronca etc right back to 1938.

There's a pic with my signature and I have quite a few more I could provide.

rkittine

Re: Time to sell my '38 Chief

Post by rkittine » Thu May 24, 2012 07:11

Hi,

Has your Chief ever been on Floats? Does it have the rear fuselage "Eye Bolts" installed for float attachement?

Regards, Robert
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu May 24, 2012 10:13

Never been on floats...or skis. Just wheels. There was a '38 around here that was fitted for floats, restored by the same guy but it was sold several years ago.

The reason for my posting was to see what people think the current price range is for such an airplane. These aircraft are very good fliers and somewhat classic, I think.

It would likely qualify in Canada as a Basic Ultralight where it could be flown with just an Ultralight Permit. Maybe in the USA as an LSA.

Captgrumps

Post by Captgrumps » Thu May 24, 2012 22:07

Robert

If it had ever been on floats it would have had to be certified as a S-65-C.
Alos depending on teh float type the attach could be different.
I have a S-65-C.
Keep the pointed end forward--
The dirty side down.....
And the blue skies on top....

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Fri May 25, 2012 07:33

Thanks Grumps, I have seen two Pre-War Chiefs that did not come from the factory with Float Fittings ("S" designation), but that had the Eye Bolt Attachements installed (For EDO Floats) and later where put on floats via the Service Bulletin and the Type Certificate (For an "S", though in many cases, no paper work filed for the change.) My 7CCM is still registered legally as a 7AC, which is what it started life as, though it now has an addition Data Plate showing 7AC-CONV.

I have a set of EDO 1320 Floats and Pre-War Chief rigging, looking for something to support, which is why I am interested. I waited too long and lost out of two 65-CAs that I looked at in Florida two months back.

Ciao - Robert
rkittine@aol.com

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri May 25, 2012 09:35

How about starting your own thread if you want to talk about float fittings.

As I said, "The reason for my posting was to see what people think the current price range is for such an airplane."

I need to sell my airplane fairly soon and thought I'd get some idea from people here before I advertize it. \

100 views of this thread so far but no opinions?

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Fri May 25, 2012 11:13

Hi Clive,

I have been looking for a Pre-War Chief to put on my set of EDO 1320s. So far I have looked at a number of them and depending on:

Time on Airframe, Engine and Prop
Engine / Type
Condition - Inside and Out

They have ranged in price from an Asking Price of $15,000 to $21,000. (Another one was higher, was on floats and sold for $27,000 where the floats and rigging are worth at least $7,000). The one at $21,000 sold three weeks ago for $19,000 and had a C-85-8 with 400 hours on it and an 6 month old Stewart System Fabric and Paint. This was a 65-CA, U.S. Registration - Hangered in Florida. I am going to look at one in Ohio next week. It has a C-75 has an asking price of $15,000 and the guys friend that sent me the pictures told me that he would actually take $12,000. It is a 65-C. I have pictures if you want to compare.

There does not seem to be any on Barnstormers for sale at the moment. If they are original, they qualify in the U.S. as L.S.A. on wheels or floats.

Hope this is helpful.
rkittine@aol.com

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri May 25, 2012 12:19

Thanks Robert, that's exactly the sort of thing I wanted to hear.

Mine's 3380 TT, A-75 with 1526 SM but has had all the cylinders and pistons changed since I owned it. Looks fairly nice except for the tatty cowling. Flies very well. Sherwood Green with Lock Haven Yellow wings and stab. Always hangared. I guess it would be at the low end of the scale, pricewise.

skot7ac

Post by skot7ac » Sat May 26, 2012 14:14

Nice looking airplane, wish I was in the market for one. Would probably start on Barnstormers, and if it were me I would put it up for $16,000 US and probably take around $14,000 if it's got a current annual. You will have a much improved chance of selling and hopefully not ending up talking with a bunch of guys who want to offer $5,000 if the annual is current. Good luck, hopefully you will just be able to keep her.

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Sat May 26, 2012 17:22

Hey Clive, Is the engine an A-75 or an A-65 that was converted to an A-75 - Different Carb Jet size, different prop for the higher RPM and opened Oil Channels? Do you have pictures of the interior? As I said, I am looking for a pre-war Chief. - Regards, Robert
rkittine@aol.com

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Sun May 27, 2012 11:29

Clive there is another 1938 Pre-War Chief for sale on Barnstormers for $16,500. It is near the top of the search if you search "AERONCA". About 4 down. Not much listed in the way of specifications other then a renovation in 1997, but there are pictures and total time. It is a 65HP. Regards - Robert
rkittine@aol.com

Clive

Post by Clive » Sun May 27, 2012 11:36

skot7ac wrote:Good luck, hopefully you will just be able to keep her.
Thanks but that's pretty unlikely.

Never been sick a day in my life and now been diagnosed with an incurable form of lymphoma. Since I had chemo, I don't have the physical strength to move the plane in and out of the hangar.

Clive

Post by Clive » Sun May 27, 2012 12:16

rkittine wrote:Hey Clive, Is the engine an A-75 or an A-65 that was converted to an A-75 - Different Carb Jet size, different prop for the higher RPM and opened Oil Channels? Do you have pictures of the interior? As I said, I am looking for a pre-war Chief. - Regards, Robert
Robert, The engine is listed in the Canadian logs as an A65-8 because the A75 is not recognized here. However, it has the 75hp connecting rods and the 75hp 5-ring pistons and always pulls good static with the 72CK42 Sensenich. I have three of the old US engine logs where the engine came from a Piper Cub. Serial number is 395 7868. I also have the old rebuild sheets from the last major listing all the bearing sizes etc. and I'm pretty sure the crank is still STD. Cylinders are all +.015" of course.

I'll send a PM to your personal email later.

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Jun 15, 2012 00:25

I've been feeling quite sad today. This morning, my little bird flew out of our airstrip for the last time, looking so pretty as it climbed away with the noon sun lighting up its yellow wings. I'd had it 22 years and hardly ever seen it flown by anyone else so it was quite an emotional moment.

It's going to live about 100 miles north of here with its own hangar and airstrip. The chap who bought it was quite resourceful. He brought along his own mechanic who gave the Chief a thorough annual yesterday and passed it fit to fly so I got to have one last short flight in it before I said goodbye.

I've got to mention something else that happened today, nothing to do with Aeroncas but an incredible surprise, for me, anyway.

18 years ago, I sold my '69 American Yankee AA1 to a guy down in St. Louis. Mo., and flew it down there to him. Here it is after he'd restored it: http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/033601.html Back then, I was flying the Chief and the Yankee alternately, which was quite interesting. I was a lot more current then.

Well, a couple of days ago, I was at a nearby airport and saw a little red Yankee parked in the distance and since it reminded me so much of my old one, I took a photo of it just sitting there. So tonight, I was looking at the photos and decided to check out that Yankee's ID to see how close it was to mine. I could see it was an early one from the sharp laminar flow wing. Well, how about that! It's the very same one that I owned, Ser. 0298, just recently imported back into Canada and re-registered here. Maybe I'll get to fly in it again sometime.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jun 15, 2012 08:48

I know the feeling. I sold my 66 Cherokee which I had owned for 25 years a while back. As it was it stayed on the same airport and the new owner spent a lot of time and $$$$ with new paint, radios, etc. Also, stored in a new hangar so the little bird is probably better off. I still have my 46 Aeronca Champ stored in my shop at home with the wings offs. Only had room for one plane in the hangar and once the L16 was finished something had to go so the Champ was declared 'inactive'. I've had a couple of offers to buy her but can't seem to bring myself to the selling point yet. Besides it's nice to walk into the shop and see an old friend that I resurrected many years ago.

MikeB