C-3 restoration

Pre-War Aeroncas
Richard

C-3 restoration

Post by Richard » Thu Mar 03, 2016 07:45

Ron Piercy @Rainbow aviation in Moses Lake Wa. is restoring a C-3. Uses piano wire for the inter bay bracing, instead of braces. 1/4" wing bolts. Series of external braces instead of struts. single mag, two cylinder engine. No airspeed indicator. My pre-chief is a completely different a/c. I was curious, if it uses the same Clark Y airfoil as a chief.

Ron said that he spoke with a guy who used to fly it in the mid-west, to hunt coyotes. With all of the braces I wonder how he didn't hit the braces while shooting.

Richard

Paul Agaliotis

Re: C-3 restoration

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:11

Richard,
Most of the early Aeronca's used the Clark Y. Then, they went to the NACA airfoils that were in vogue.

The C series wings were built like the Jenny, dual hard wire bracing and turnbarrels. These were positioned at the tops of the spars rather than the C/L as the later airplanes. You can see why they changed, it's just too complex for the airplane.

We built a set of ribs for one in CA. The owner had 3 different ribs from different airplanes. And none of them matched! We just plotted out the new ribs for the specific chord and they were different than the other three. And you know what, they all flew just fine.

I've always liked the C series. Maybe Ron will want to swap me for another project.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Mar 10, 2016 15:21

Thanks Paul;
How did C-3's they fly? underpowered, speed, etc. The pictures make it look like a neat plane. I thought that my 1941 65CA had a clark Y airfoil too.. Ron is always ready to deal!

Richard

cmacveigh

Post by cmacveigh » Thu Apr 07, 2016 22:03

Richard,
the C Series flys very well. I've never felt underpowered flying my C-2. But, I do have the big E-113 37 HP Engine.

Glad to hear that Ron is working on the C-3. He got a fuel tank from me several years back.

Dennis Nichols, from Tri-Cities was over to Seattle last week. I gave him a good tour of the C-2. If you know ahead of time that you're coming over the mountains, let me know.
Craig

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Apr 08, 2016 00:11

I know Dennis. He has a 65CA like mine. Does he want a C-2 now? Ron said he would like to sell his C-3 after he gets the wings built and let someone finish the rest of the project.

Richard