Antenna recommendation

Radios, intercoms, headsets and GPS systems
john-ranger

Antenna recommendation

Post by john-ranger » Thu Sep 25, 2008 03:49

Any recommendations for a good VHF antenna for my handheld ICOM A6?

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Thu Sep 25, 2008 08:15

John,
I use the Comant fiberglass antenna. The radio manufacturer recommended this brand and it has been working well for the past decade. I inquired about the metal whip style and they said the tuning of the whip allowed broader range of frequencies but with decreased output.
The Comant unit is about a Ben Franklin and the quality is first rate.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Thu Sep 25, 2008 08:56

Am not as experienced with the various types as Paul but remember that the best antenna out there is worthless without a very good grounded and shielded lead to the antenna, AND a ground plane working with the antenna where its mounted on the airplane.

Ground everything, shield the lead at both ends and use shielded cable going to the cable. If you still have magneto noise then try filters on the "P" leads.

One other idea is that I have seen one L-16 that had the antenna mounted inside the fuselage cone. It used screen wire for the ground plane and was really neat. Worked excellent but was invisable from the outside.

Roger Anderson

Re: Antenna recommendation

Post by Roger Anderson » Thu Sep 25, 2008 09:18

john-ranger wrote:Any recommendations for a good VHF antenna for my handheld ICOM A6?
What's your email, and I'll send you some pictures of the antenna installed on my Chief. It's just a steel whip my dad had sitting around in his shop. It made my Icom handheld work as good as a panel mount radio.