radio solution - non handheld radio install - pros & con

Radios, intercoms, headsets and GPS systems
john-ranger

radio solution - non handheld radio install - pros & con

Post by john-ranger » Tue Sep 30, 2008 19:14

I was thinking of installing a Narco Com radio model 810. Using my 12v portable (motorcycle) battery for power. Does anyone use a non handheld type radio for their Champ/Chief? I would hope that I could use my portable intercom with the radio. As to where to install the radio...I'm thinking of mounting under the panel or to the left of the front seat.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Sep 30, 2008 19:44

John,
I have copies of approved paperwork to install a ICOM A200 in a 7AC with a microphone box and battery box. I'm sure this is somewhat similiar. I can email copies to you if you send me your email address (reply on the private message). Of course, whether it gets 'approved' on your end depends on the local feds, I guess. I think I'd run it by them first.
I wound up using a 'removable' battery box and a handheld which works just fine.

Mike Berg
"If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money"

Roger Anderson

Re: radio solution - non handheld radio install - pros &

Post by Roger Anderson » Tue Sep 30, 2008 21:57

john-ranger wrote:I was thinking of installing a Narco Com radio model 810. Using my 12v portable (motorcycle) battery for power. Does anyone use a non handheld type radio for their Champ/Chief? I would hope that I could use my portable intercom with the radio. As to where to install the radio...I'm thinking of mounting under the panel or to the left of the front seat.
Use to have, long time ago, a 7DC with a Genave panel type radio. However, we kept it as a portable installation. It was mounted to an aluminum bracket which was then hung off to the left of the front seat, mounted to the left window ledge with a thumb screw. It was quick connected to a battery that I believe was behind the back seat. The plane was tied down and we removed it after each flight. Actually, the whole plane was a mass of unapproved, but very clever, illegality. But back then, no one cared...if it was safe. Pictures on request....or if I knew how to place them on here. I'll be darn. I just figured it out. It worked. Picture attached.

stknrdr

Post by stknrdr » Wed Oct 01, 2008 14:03

John-Ranger:

See my previous posts on my installation. My xpnder and Garmin SL30 are stacked as in Roger's install with small Gill battery under the front seat. Due to the high noise in the cockpit, my avionics guy and I were never able to get the internal intercom on the Garmin to work properly, even with factory help. Installation of a Sigtronics SP-22N solved the problem perfectly.

I've listened to my wife's transmissions when she's out with her CFI and you'd think it was mega-buck equipment in a bizjet. Very clear. I've had no requests for repeats from ATC when using Flight Following or going into Class C.

Radio, xpnder, battery, turbo alternator, volt/amp meter, boxes, trays, wiring, breakers, etc. came in @ under 20lbs.

My IA evidently had no probs with the field approval, but his work and attention to detail are well known to the local FSDO.

I'm very pleased with whole package.

Tim

stknrdr

Post by stknrdr » Wed Oct 01, 2008 14:08

One more thing. The install includes two 12V receptacles on the extreme left and right of the instrument panel which I use to run the Airmap 600 GPS and ICS off the Gill battery without having to bother with replacing or recharging AAs or 9V. Very convenient.