Building a ground plane - for a radio

Radios, intercoms, headsets and GPS systems
rkittine

Re: Building a ground plane - for a radio

Post by rkittine » Thu Feb 24, 2011 16:45

New shielded ignition harness, new plugs and a good aviation headset adapter resolved all my noise problems on my A24 and my A20.
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

jmurray

Post by jmurray » Fri May 20, 2011 15:02

I have been using an ICOM hand held and it worked just fine getting into Sun 'n Fun because no transmission was allowed. I had the ADVANCED AIRCRAFT ELECTRONICS antenna installed aft of the rear seat and I can't get it to transmit at all while the engine is running. I can hear OK with the engine on but evidently, the transmission isn't getting out. I can turn on our airport lighting system by transmitting but I NEVER get a reply when I ask for a radio check. Once on the ground with the engine off, I get replies so I am transmitting. Even betwen hangars, the signal is pretty strong. The problem seems to be only when the engine is operating.

I'm using an David Clark headset without an intercom attached.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Is it the shielding? Thanks.
John Murray
7AC NC3066E
Tampa, Florida

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri May 20, 2011 18:03

John.
Sure sound like it's making so much engine noise when the engine is running that the transmissions are unreadable. One of our old Champs had the same problem. I did too until I put on Slicks with a shielded harness and plugs. A muff on the miike might help. Do you hear a lot of engine noise in the headset??

I have a 'cheap' JRC handheld radio, going through a 'cheap' push to talk, and a 'cheap' Flightcom intercom and a 'cheap' Flightcom NC headset and it works fine. I've talked to folks 30-40 miles away. The 'cheap' antenna is mounted on the front left wing root.

"Cheap Mike :oops: "

DELCOM

Post by DELCOM » Fri May 20, 2011 19:47

Sounds like "Get it done Mike" to me. Expensive is not always the best. Way to go Mike!

Del
N84029 7AC conv. #2716 Completed and flying
N83059 7BCM #1715 fully restored and sold

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Sat May 21, 2011 14:22

I am not sure what intercom you are using with your ICOM handhelds. The older ones A20 etc., have a 2 lead mic line, which switches to transmit with a PULL TO GROUND. These older radios also have no sidetone. The newer radios have three leads for the mic. Hot, ground and Push To Talk. You may want to make sure you have the right one with the right adapters as you might be transmitting (turning on the runway lights) a carrier, with no audio, which is possible in AM as you have a Carrier that is Amplitude modulated. Companies like Softcomm make different models for each of the ICOM radios for this reason.
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Wed May 25, 2011 02:33

This may be a little bit of a thread drift; but was out flying the C_b the other day and talked to a buddy in his Champ over the radio. We both have the same antenna, mounted in the same place (although his is on the left side), but different radios. I'm running an Icom A-6 and he has a KX-99.

Here's the best part; we were about 35 miles apart and could hear each better than if we were standing next to each other.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK