Icom A6 battery won't charge

Radios, intercoms, headsets and GPS systems
WWhunter

Icom A6 battery won't charge

Post by WWhunter » Sun Oct 10, 2010 14:28

I purchased an Icom IC-A6 in 2008 or 2009 from Aircraft Spruce (at Oshkosh). I got an additional battery at another vendor also. Well, I ended up rarely using it due to NOT being very user friendly and also has very bad engine noise that comes through it that does not happen with my old King KX-99. The King is a good radio but is outdated and I can't get some of the new frequencies so I am needing to use the Icom. I have tried charging both of the batteries and neither one of them will take a charge much over 1/3 to 1/2 charge. I used a timer on the charger so it doesn't charge over the recommended time stated in the manual. When I remove the charger and try the radio with either battery the little icon shows the battery strength of about 1/3 charged. Is there a way to "refresh" these batteries? I have only used this radio one time for any length of time and that was when I first got it, and before I knew about the engine noise.
The ANL button helps a little but not enough to make the radio acceptable to me.
Please don't suggest contacting the factory. When I purchased it there was a couple of minor items missing in the box and it took me nearly a year to get them sent to me. Besides, I have had it past the warrantee period. :(
Is there a "trick" to getting these batteries fully charged?
Thanks,
WW

MikeB

Re: Icom A6 battery won't charge

Post by MikeB » Sun Oct 10, 2010 15:17

Keith,
Have you tried dragging the battery down to completely dead and then bringing it back? That seemed to work on one of my ni-cads that wouldn't take a complete charge.

MikeB

WWhunter

Post by WWhunter » Sun Oct 10, 2010 15:21

Mike, Yes sir...I have tried that. I am going to try it again though. My timer may be malfunctioning also and may have nothing to do with the battery. I have run both batteries down today til there is only a few seconds of power in them til they shut off. I will try to put just the charger on this evening and let it charge the recommended 12 hours again and see what happens. Thanks,
Keith

Rick Hadley

Post by Rick Hadley » Sun Oct 10, 2010 15:49

Contact Dick at Battery Tech Central. He can probably have your battery pack rebuilt.

http://www.batterytechcentral.com/
Rick
11AC Chief
NC86196

15A

Post by 15A » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:22

I bought an A6 a couple of years ago and love it! It came with the rechargeable battery, and I bought the cartridge that holds the 'AA' batteries for back-up. Short money. No problems...!
Joe Craig 15A

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:06

NiCad's are old technology and can be a real problem when they get a "Memory", is these are truly NiCads and not Metal Hydride or Lithium, then if they will not refresh with 3 or 4 discharges and recharges, then get new batteries. Battery America has them and so does W&W Manufacturing. W&W will no longer use your case and put in new cells, but Battery America might still do it. W&W is in Huntington, Long ISland.
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

WWhunter

Post by WWhunter » Fri Oct 15, 2010 14:20

UPDATE!!! Well, I sort of figured that was the problem....my timer was intermitent. It would run and turn on the circuit for the charger, but for some strange reason it wouldn't stay on. The manual specificly states not to overcharge and with my memory not what it used to be I would have definitely "forgotten" about when I plugged it in.
Both batteries are now fully charged. :)
Thanks for the help.
WW