TKM Michel NAV/COM MX 170B

Radios, intercoms, headsets and GPS systems
Muskokabob

TKM Michel NAV/COM MX 170B

Post by Muskokabob » Tue May 17, 2011 13:22

I have a Michel 170B NAV/COM in my Sedan that has been acting up, a highpitched squeal that starts at about 128 mh and gets louder as you go up in frequency. I have heard mixed reviews about their service (it's in Scotsdale Arizona) and wonder if anyone has had any experience with them, good bad or indifferent.
I am toying with replaceing the unit with either a brand new 170C or going with a Garmin SL 40,(this is a comm only) about a wash cost wise but the Garmin requires a new tray and wiring. Opinions please!!

Bob

Muskokabob

Re: TKM Michel NAV/COM MX 170B

Post by Muskokabob » Tue May 17, 2011 13:26

I should have mentioned that I am thinking of selling my plane, and maybe I should leave
that decision up to the new owner?

Bob

Al Hatz

Post by Al Hatz » Wed May 18, 2011 20:24

Have you given them a call? They usually have a flat rate that's pretty reasonable. We've had pretty good luck with them, even if it does come back and a short time later has problems they usually fix it again without a charge.
One thing I have been noticing with the Michels and others is that the antennas are getting weak as they age. Some of these antennas are 40 plus years old. So if Michel checks it out and it's o.k. you know where to go next.

Muskokabob

Post by Muskokabob » Wed May 18, 2011 23:03

They do not answer the phone, they tell you to email or Fax. Have done, and their flat rate is $95 plus any modules they replace.

Bob

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Wed May 18, 2011 23:58

If you can get it fixed great, but I've heard the same story a couple times; long wait, lack of communication, and it usually goes back a couple times before it's truly fixed.

If you're going to sell it, don't bother installing a new radio; it won't increase the resale value an equal amount. i.e. if the airplane is worth $30k and a new radio cost $5k installed, the market value of the airplane won't increase to $35k.

If you think you'll keep it for a couple years or you just want to have a usable radio; might look into a King KX170b. It will slide into the existing tray and harness I believe. There's one on ebay for $50 right now.

An upgrade would be the SL40; they're great units and can be slaved into a Garmin GPS power cord so you can select freqs on the GPS and it automatically loads them into the standby. It's slick to have when working busy airspace or turbulance.

Another option is an Icom IC-A210. I've only used them once or twice but it seemed intuitive to use. Plus it's $1250 vs. $1800 for the SL40.

good luck.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu May 19, 2011 09:18

I like the old JRC handheld in my Champ. I spent a small fortune on radios and transponders when I had my Cherokee and I can't understand that something is supposed to be 'aircraft quality' is so unreliable, dies that the wrong time and needs a handheld for backup.

MikeB

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Tue May 24, 2011 13:30

I just tried to help someone with this company. They are located in Scottsdale AZ I believe and just as I was ready to knock on their door the Aeronca owner let me know that he had gotten his radio back.

They are slow and evidently do not answer the phone but at least they are still in business.

Joe A

Muskokabob

Post by Muskokabob » Tue May 24, 2011 15:24

Thanks everyone for the help/opinions. I decided to bite the bullet and install a Garmin SL40. I never use the VOR
even though it works perfectly.
And of coarse Mr. Murphy raised his head and bit me! After receiving the new SL40 I discovered a newly installed anti collision light was causing the noise in my radio! E-Bay here I come!

Bob