Need headset adapters

Radios, intercoms, headsets and GPS systems
MikeB

Need headset adapters

Post by MikeB » Wed Sep 07, 2011 20:17

I have a JRC (Japan Radio Corporation) handheld radio. Works great except the audio side of my headset adapter is intermittent. Basically because the female plug is loose and won't hold the male side (no jokes here :oops: ) without slipping out. I don't think it's repairable and I'm looking for a replacement if anyone happens to have one.
Thanks,
Mike

rkittine

Re: Need headset adapters

Post by rkittine » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:17

Sorry that I do not have a spare one, but if worse comes to worse, Aircraft Spruce and Sporty's still have the older style one, which works with some models of the JRC Handhelds. You need to be careful on the adapters and the newer ones have a real Push To Talk Line on the mike side (Like the ICOM A24) and need the extra line as the older ones transmit based on the PTT buttom completing a Pull To Ground to swithc to transmit, so the adapter for the A24 will not work with the earlier A20s.
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Sep 08, 2011 17:50

Thanks...after thinking about it a bit I guess I could install a new female phone plug on the present wires. Especially since it's only the audio side. I've been avoiding messing with it too much as it usually works. I tried taping the plugs together but that was only a temporary cure.
Mike

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Sun Jul 15, 2012 09:07

MikeB,

I have the same problem you described with the KX99 which came with my recently purchased Chief. I'm still trouble-shooting the cable adapters to the David Clark 10-40 headset which is hooked to it but the main problem seems to be the male female fit of the Phone/Mic cables to the the radio receptacles. I think the real problem is the receptacle fittings but haven't been able to find a source for them. Have you resolved yor problem and maybe found some suppliers along the way ?

Dale

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:24

Dale,
I'm still 'living with it'. As I posted above, I taped the adapter together for now and I'll probably do some checking around when I go to Oshkosh in a week or so and see if I can come up with another adapter harness.
Mike

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Sun Jul 15, 2012 14:28

Another Option is contact Soft Comm as they can provide a portable Intercom with the appropriate adapters for each of the Radio Specific units. I have found them to be especially helpful and will probably provide you with parts at no or low prices. Give them a call.
Last edited by rkittine on Wed Jul 25, 2012 07:26, edited 1 time in total.
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Tue Jul 24, 2012 21:56

MikeB,

Don't know if this helps,but I found that the real problem with my KX99 was a broken wire in the headset cable plug which goes into the Phone input of the radio. it was so difficult to get to that I just cut it off, bought a cable and plug and a 3.5 to 2.5 mm adapter to make it fit the KX and soldered it to the headset plug adapter. Grand total of $8.83 incl tax at Radio Shack for parts and the sound is back! Might be worth the time with an ohm meter to see if this is your real problem.

Dale