Batteries for Handhelds

Radios, intercoms, headsets and GPS systems
EDGEFLY

Batteries for Handhelds

Post by EDGEFLY » Mon Sep 24, 2012 22:14

Just became aware today of a new type of AA battery for typical battery packs powering Handheld radios. They are standard(physical) sized AA's based on Lithium technology. The ones I purchased are manufactured by Energizer. I got them at a Walmart and they are expensive - $9.83 + tax for four batteries. I don't have usage history yet but put them into my Sporty's A300 today. Will follow up after trying a couple of controlled airports.

Dale

DELCOM

Re: Batteries for Handhelds

Post by DELCOM » Tue Sep 25, 2012 00:09

Dale

Make sure that whatever charger you use it is compatible with lithium batts. Different composition batts require different charges.

Del
N84029 7AC conv. #2716 Completed and flying
N83059 7BCM #1715 fully restored and sold

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Tue Sep 25, 2012 08:55

Del,

These are not rechargeable. In that respect, they are similar to Alkaline batteries. They will have some lifetime and they will need to be replaced.

Dale

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:24

Straight Lithium Batteries are not rechargeable, bu Lithium Hydride are. 4 of those babies are about $25.00 but they work great and have a longer life then most of the rechargeable AAs out there. I spend $80 on a custom charger that can charge, cycle or refresh AAs and AAAs and it was worth every penny. As a Ham with Handheld Radios and test equipment, a flyer with handheld radios, timers etc. and a photographer with 4 portable strobes I have about 100 rechargeable AAs and this charger keeps them in tip top shape. It also covers all three of the common type rechargeable batteries, the old NiCads, Nickel Metal Hydride and the Litium Hydride types.

WWW Manufacturing in Huntington, New York / Broadway Battery, also makes a similar charger as does Batteries America.
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Tue Sep 25, 2012 16:23

I made a post about lithium AA batteries recently and some additional info was posted about rechargeable versions which are Lithium Hydride based. I looked a little further and find that some of the rechargeable types are not nominal voltage for AA but are instead 3.6 v per unit. I just want to point out that these units are not directly interchangeable with standard Alkaline units which you may be using in your handheld radio. The batteries I first posted about are called Energizer ULTIMATE LITHIUM AA (that's Vendorspeak) and have voltage output of 1.5 v just like the alkaline units you may be currently using.

All this is not to imply that there is anything incorrect in Bob's post re rechargeable batts. Just be sure that any you buy are mechanically and electrically compatible for your intended use.

Dale

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Wed Sep 26, 2012 07:48

It is true that many AA looking sized batteries are not all the same voltage. Many are actually on.y 1.2 volts instead of 1.5 like the Non-Rechargeable. Most radios will operate over a fairly broad voltage range, which should be listed in your manual, part of the reason for this is that they actually have an internal voltage regulator in them to make sure that they get what they need from varying sources. My ICOM lists direct operating voltage range of 7.5 volts (6 AA recharable at 1.2 + 7.2 Volts) to 16 Volts and the Cigarate lighter adapter from ICOM allows for 12 - 36 volt input to take into account both 12 and 28 volt systems.

Rather than using AA battery packs, I prefer to use the standard recharegable pack available for most radios, both from the manufacturer as well as from companies that make OEM models like WWW and Batteries America. The whole pack then charges as one item in the rapid charger.
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com