Transponder and Intercom Requirement

Radios, intercoms, headsets and GPS systems
EDGEFLY

Transponder and Intercom Requirement

Post by EDGEFLY » Sun Oct 21, 2012 18:43

I am looking for a mode C capable transponder and a two person intercom system for my Chief. The aircraft does not have an electrical system at this point so the battery powered hardware which is lightweight is the objective. I have been pursuing these needs for some time and have something of a feel for what new equipment suppliers are offering. The purpose of this query is to solicit availability of and recommendations for equipment which forum members and/or others may be able to offer in the near future. Battery systems applicable are also of interest.

Dale

rkittine

Re: Transponder and Intercom Requirement

Post by rkittine » Sun Oct 21, 2012 19:01

Hi Dale,

Unfortunately there are no portable transponders as they need to be certified to the plane. Without an electrical system, you are not required to have a transponder installed. I regularly fly my 7CCM inside the 30 mile vail of the New York Class B Airspace without incident or problems and regularly visit Class C and D airspace with just my ICOM Handhelds.

I have seen some people put a regular sized used Transponder in the plane for much less money than one of the new minature ones, but they have high current drain and you will be charging the battery more often.

In my Chief I installed the light weight Becker German radio and transponder and run them with a battery also used to run the starter, but charged with a solar panel and a voltage regulator. They replaced the pilot side glove box. These units are TSOed.

In my Champ, no electrical system eother, I do not have a transponder, but use a A24 ICOM Radio with a battery under the front seat and an extenal VHF antenna.

In the Champ I use a portabe intercom velcrowed to the side wall and hooked to the battery under the seat. In the Chief I have a two place Sigtonics mounted in the panel. The intercom in the Champ was ordered specifically for the ICOM handheld radio and it works great including the PTT lines from the Radio, the two control sticks and the one on the unit itself. The SIgntronics is wired to the Bender radios and there are PTTs on each control wheel.

I would post pictures, but the site seems to be filled regarding available photos. I can E-mail them to you. Let me know if you would like them.

Regards, Bob
Last edited by rkittine on Sat Oct 27, 2012 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

bubbagump

Post by bubbagump » Sun Oct 21, 2012 22:13

Bob, Where did you mount the antenna in the champ?
Bubba - currently planeless

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Mon Oct 22, 2012 08:20

Bob,

I have a bunch of questions re your post and will post them ASAP. I have to go rescue my Chief after it's " Annual" affair this AM. First though, I would like to ask you to send any relative photography as attachments in an E-mail to me at tmail51a@gmail.com.

I realize you can operate as "powerless" in controlled airspace but that eliminates any possibility of getting flight following, right ?

Will be back in touch

Dale