Intercom mounting in Chiefs

Radios, intercoms, headsets and GPS systems
EDGEFLY

Intercom mounting in Chiefs

Post by EDGEFLY » Thu Mar 07, 2013 08:09

I finally successfully tested my intercom/radio/headphone system recently and wanted to ask if anyone has a great idea (or even thinks they do) for mounting their intercom in a Chief. I have reported before that I think all of the associated cables and trash are an absolute nightmare in a small cockpit but haven't had time to work out a wireless system which is what I believe to be the only reasonable approach. I think this overall topic has been addressed before and a couple of Champ owners had door mounted IC's which looked pretty good but don't look reasonable to me for a Chief. I am trying to find room for my Sigtronics SPO-22 which is ~ 2 7/8 x 4 x 1 1/2 and has output cables for my KX99 adapter. I'm trying to avoid a center panel location since I want to move the T&B which is now located there and rework the panel for the original Aeronca
format & Logo.

Dale

rkittine

Re: Intercom mounting in Chiefs

Post by rkittine » Thu Mar 07, 2013 08:22

I put the one in my Chief on the panel to the right of the Left Glove Box, which I had removed in order to fit in the Becker - Minature Transceiver and Transponder, which also allowed short wires to the jacks for the head phones and connection to the radio. I have seen them in the wing routes, for those that do not want them on the panel, but I do not like how the head phones wires go unless you route the cables around and away from the intercom. I have even seen them mounted on the floor under the seat. Once you get the the settings for squelch and volume, you usually only have to touch it to turn it on and off and you can do that by making the Pilots mike plug have to be in the jack for the intercom to get power, so if you forget to turn it off, you do not drain the battery down at all.

Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

robmorgan

Re: Intercom mounting in Chiefs

Post by robmorgan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 21:04

I made a metal bracket that looks like a U with one end longer. The longer end goes under the seat between the two people in the airplane. it does not come up on top of the seat rather sits between the two occupants down by the knees. I put also put the radio in the same place. The antenna cable comes under the seat, the ptt cable comes straight up to the yoke and the headsets plug right it. Nothing in the way and fairly easy access. If you like i can try to post some pictures tomorrow.