NEED A NEW GPS

Radios, intercoms, headsets and GPS systems
hammmike

NEED A NEW GPS

Post by hammmike » Tue Mar 26, 2013 22:18

My old Magellon gps has finally died. I bought it in 1995. I am going to buy a cheap gps to put in the champ at Lakeland this year. What are some of the GPS,s that people are running in your planes. I have a non electric plane. I dont want weather . Thanks Mike Hammond

Nathan K. Hammond

Re: NEED A NEW GPS

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Tue Mar 26, 2013 23:02

I'd look at the Garmin 95C. Probably the cheapest new unit available. Or maybe a Bendix-king AV8OR.

Check out the pin boards while at SnF, might find a great deal on a used one.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Wed Mar 27, 2013 06:30

For space saving in my Champ I got a Quatra, with Sectionals, but no Approach Plates and it works fine for what I want to do. Mounts nicey on the panel top. Right side, iPhone on the left. Great Turn and Banl App as well as Altimeter Airspeed I can see fom behind a student etc.
IFR PANEL - RS - 2.jpg
IFR PANEL - RS - 2.jpg (153.76 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Wed Mar 27, 2013 06:41

Lots of my CAP buddies are now using IPADs with the Garmin APP. I am very impressed with their capability. You get the same app with several other tablets and smart phones. There are a myriad of docks or other holders from kneepads to windshield mounts with suction cups. Chiefs and Sedans can use a yoke mount quite effectively, but in a champ the other styles will work. These guys can get more out of their smartphones than I can get with a fairly modern panel mount GPS. These are all VFR of course, but most can fly a backup approach on almost any published procedure and they cost way less than a GPS with similar capability.

Something worth considering.

Dik
N1441H The Queen of the Berry Patch

hammmike

Post by hammmike » Thu Mar 28, 2013 19:53

Does anyone use the GARMIN AERA 500 ? It looks like a nice unit.

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Fri Mar 29, 2013 04:53

I owned one for two years. Great unit, however it uses a proprietary Lion battery and it doesn't last long (about and hour) if you are not plugged into a 12vdc source. I sold it last fall and bought an iPad mini and a Dual Universal GPS I carry now. I much preferred the Aero 500 for the plane, but the iPad offers so much more in terms of charts and airport diagrams.

Richard
Richard

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Fri Mar 29, 2013 05:00

I just searched for the Quatra Bod referred to and found the Quadra at Sportys

Anywhere Map Quadra EFB
Special Price: $195.00
Original Price $995.00
ID #: 6898A

Looks like they are closing these out and it appears to be a very capable unit that is easily updated (as long as they are available) wirelessly from any wi-fi site.

Richard
Richard

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Fri Mar 29, 2013 16:10

I love mine and it can be QUICKLY updated via a Cable and Quadra Link on your computer - At 4 hours via WiFi. That is what is in the picture of my Champ panel. The Sectionals Are extra.
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Sat Mar 30, 2013 02:56

I've put a good number of hours on the Aera 500 in different Cubs. They are a nice unit, but have taken me a while to get use to. In the winter, they're no fun, because the touch screen doesn't like gloves so your constantly removing and replacing them. Turbulence doesn't seem to be an issue as long as you can brace your hand against something. The other issue I have is the touch screen logic; I can cycle through my 496 lightning quick and can find any info I need in short order. On the Aera, you have to go to a menu, then click another page and another, etc... I can't get the pattern through my head where everything is located. This is more a user error on my part, but be ready for a different 'feel' from any other Garmin/Apollo.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

jepropst

Post by jepropst » Sat Mar 30, 2013 05:12

Nathan,
Good info on the Garmin 500. I hadn't thought about the difficulty in using the touch screen with mittens. Did you experience short battery life similar to Richard? It appears that touch screen is Garmin’s path forward for portable gps units. How is the screen brightness and clarity in the plane for a 500 versus you 496? I’ve been using the Garmin 296 for years and would highly recommend it except that they no longer make it. I plan to keep using it for as long as it works. One issue with the X96 GPS units is that they have a small internal battery that remembers the time and location when the unit is off. Over time this battery will go bad and the unit will forget the time and location when shut off for an extended period of time. When this happens, it will take a long time for the unit to “find” its location when it is turned on. This happened to mine. I found info on the internet for replacing the battery and brought my unit back to life. The battery is small and is soldered to a circuit board so it is not a simple task to replace it, but it can be done. My guess is that X96 gps units will start showing up with this memory problem and used units probably can be obtained fairly inexpensively. If you’re handy with repairing electronics, this path could provide access to a good gps. I placed a separate thread on this site a while back for replacing the battery. With the growth of the ADS-B system, I would anticipate that the XM weather subscription service will eventually go by the wayside and be replaced with the “free” ADS-B weather, or WiFi weather for the low and slow.
John Propst
313 Hickory Grove Ln
Elizabeth, WV 26143
cell 304 588 3690
j.e.propst@ieee.org
N3129E 2WV3

hammmike

Post by hammmike » Sat Mar 30, 2013 13:56

I will probably pick up a Garman 500 at sunandfun.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Mar 30, 2013 16:05

While it's probably not exclusive to Garmin my complaint is when they no longer furnish parts/updates, etc. I have a Garmin GPS that I paid about $300 for several moons ago and (according to Garmin) if the 'memory' battery goes dead they tell you to discard it and buy a new one (not a good analogy for a marriage by the way :roll: ). Anyway, as John mentioned above it might be difficult but possible to solder in a new one. I guess my point is that I don't like to just throw $300 away for no good reason . I know technology changes and evolves but it's kind of arrogant for a company to take that kind of an attitude. Kind of went through that with theTerra radios and transponder when I had my Cherokee. Well, anyway right now I have the IFLy system and hope they stick around for awhile. IFLY on the right and hanging on the heater control is a remote control which works pretty well in rough air or I guess in case you were wearing mittens and weren't able to touch the screen (either way works). It also has terrain and obstacle warning and I have the ADSB SKY RADAR system that hooks up with USB cord but I haven't much change to use it yet. Also has an instrument panel screen but I don't find much use for it. Updates for maps, etc. cost about $69 per year for VFR.

Just .02 cents worth.

Mike
Attachments
IFLY GPS.jpg
IFLY GPS.jpg (130.61 KiB) Viewed 2722 times

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Mon Apr 01, 2013 23:34

John, can't comment on the 500’s battery; I always had it on the ships power. The screen is 'different.' Its nice and clear and can easily be viewed in direct sunlight, but the colors aren't as sharp as the 3/496.

I do know, on my 496, the battery will hold about 6 hours, 3 with the XM plugged in. The original battery did croak a couple years ago, and I ended up having to replace it.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 500.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

jepropst

Post by jepropst » Tue Apr 02, 2013 05:54

I would like to clarify that the Garmin X96 GPS’s have two batteries. There is the big removable battery on the back side of the unit that operates the GPS while it is in use. This one typically provides 4 to 8 hours of operation, depending upon brightness and other operational features. The second battery is a small battery that is soldered to one of the internal circuit boards. It is physically about 1/4” in diameter and 1/8" thick (like a hearing aide battery). The last time I bought one they were only a couple bucks each. On another thread I referenced a web site that provides photos and instructions on how to access and replace this small battery. It is my understanding that this small battery is involved in remembering the clock time and the last location where the GPS was when it was turned off. When functioning correctly, the GPS can remember time and location for an extended period of time, even when the main unit battery is removed. The GPS needs to know the time and last location when it is turned on in order to quickly “find” the satellites when turned on. If the little internal battery goes dead, the GPS will still work when it is turned on, but it may take 10 or 15 minutes for it to figure out where it is located.
John Propst
313 Hickory Grove Ln
Elizabeth, WV 26143
cell 304 588 3690
j.e.propst@ieee.org
N3129E 2WV3

hammmike

Post by hammmike » Fri Apr 12, 2013 13:24

Could you show how you mounted the IFLY to the dash? I picked one up at Lakeland.