Alternator for Lycoming 0235 C1

Aircraft electrical systems. Generators, both engine and wind driven. Other electrical systems, wiring, fuses, lighting and so on.
larryjmillermd

Alternator for Lycoming 0235 C1

Post by larryjmillermd » Fri Jun 16, 2006 21:51

My old Delco generator finally gave up the ghost. I never liked it because it was so weak that even using the landing lights drained the battery. Now I want to install a new lightweight alternator. However, my mechanic says he cant because there is no STC for doing this on a Champion 7FC. The STC that allowed in installation of the Lycoming 0235 C1 does not mention anything about the alternator or generator. FAA will not do a field approval after a call to the local representative in San Antonio. He said the alternator is part of the aircraft – not the engine. I called Lycoming and they are of no help.

Do any of you know of an STC that I could use or any other solution to installing an alternator? Should I just install one myself and forget about FAA approval? Obviously, an alternator is safer and better than the old generator, which Delco doesn’t make anymore.

Thanks for your help.

Larry Miller

Dusty

Post by Dusty » Tue Jun 20, 2006 14:26

May I suggest that it may be time for a new mechanic and/or FAA rep? An alternator should be a quick and easy field approval. One of the more important characteristics of a good mechanic is a good relationship with the people who approve things. What's your mechanic doing making you call the FAA? Of course they aren't going to approve it for _you_.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jun 20, 2006 16:58

GRRRR :evil: This what always makes me angry when dealing with the bureaucracy. Why do they want to make criminals of us?? They don't seem to understand that improvements have been made in products over the last 40-50 years. The alternator is a great improvement over the old generator....not to mention much lighter and simplier. It's difficult but not impossible to get a field approval. You might have to keep trying different people at the feds, but they should work with you and not just cut you off. My suggestion would be to work with a knowledgeable AI and draw up a plan that shows exactly how the alterntor would be mounted, materials to be used, wiring diagrams, etc. It probably needs to be "professionally" drawn.

Someone else might want to chime in here with other suggestions.
"If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money"

Lowell Sterchi

GEN to ALT.

Post by Lowell Sterchi » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:35

Check the other Modles of the Champs, 7 & 8 series. Use their wireing
size and routing along with the Drawing Number for that plane. Then
get your Mechanic/IA to make up a 337. Do the paper work FIRST!
I did this on an Aircraft many years ago, and it went straight thru.
As mentioned above if no help from the ones you mentioned, go else
were. YOU do not have to work with the people in your area, only the
IA. In other words, go to a different FSDO.
Best of luck.

larryjmillermd

Post by larryjmillermd » Wed Jun 21, 2006 23:15

Thanks for the good advice. My mechanic wants to help, but he doesn’t want to loose his license. He talked to the FAA field examiner who said the alternator could not be field approved. This is insanity, because alternators are approved for the Champion 7ECA, which has the same engine, and the only real difference is the acrobatic wing and no nose gear.

Alternators are approved for my engine (Lycoming 0235 C1) when it was still on the Piper Cub we took it from. The FAA examiner said that even though an alternator could have been legally installed on my engine before removing it from the Piper Cub it is not approved once the engine is installed in the Champion. Does that make any sense? I asked, "Would I have to remove the altenator (if it had been installed prior to exchange) when I installed the Lycoming on my Champ?

"No, you could leave it on."

Maybe I should remove the engine, install it in a Piper Cub, install the alternator and then re-install the engine on my Champ.

I spoke with representatives from the 3 alternator manufacturers. They were all very cooperative, but all said the same thing; The FAA will not field approve their alternator for a Champion 7FC, even the alternator that is legal for the 7EC. They said the only solution is to pay $ thousands for an engineering report and then I might get a one-time STC for my plane. The FAA has become incredibly lazy and bureaucratic; using no common sense. They are being obstructive to attempts to upgrade our planes.

I like your idea of copying the electrical diagrams from a 7EC and having my mechanic submit them to the FAA. I will let you know if we are successful with that approach. Do any of you know a FAA examiner that understands antique planes?

Thanks again for your help and support.

Best regards,

Larry Miller

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Thu Jun 22, 2006 00:25

Larry,

You could also try another FSDO, one that is a bit more workable. This one is not.

Joe a