B&C Alternator

Aircraft electrical systems. Generators, both engine and wind driven. Other electrical systems, wiring, fuses, lighting and so on.
Classicaero

BC433 30 Amp alternator / dynamo

Post by Classicaero » Fri Jun 19, 2009 01:44

Unit is already STC'ed and readily available for most vintage airplanes. Please see:
http://luscombe.org/index.php?page=sdf,

for further details on operation and costing. Or cal 480-650-0883.
Doug
Doug Combs, for Classic Aero LLC.
Purveyors of lightweight alternators for vintage aircraft, parts for Cleveland and Goodyear Mechanical brakes, Ball bearing pulleys for Luscombe, Aeronca, and Taylorcraft,
support for Luscombe aircraft.

MikeB

Re: B&C Alternator

Post by MikeB » Tue Mar 19, 2013 17:00

Since this thread/posting is several years old, has anyone on the forum been able to get approval to install one of these light weight alternators on a Continental engine? Specifically, I'm thinking on a 0200 in my L16 and probably the 12 amp version. Right now I'm running a 'total loss
(no alternator/generator) system' which works fine except I'm a bit reluctant to leave even a steady state charger on when I'm away from the airport for several days. Don't want to 'cook things' should the charger decide to take a dump. Happened to my friends Husky, fried the battery and dumped acid in the airframe although he apparently didn't have a sealed battery. 12 Amps or so would probably surfice as I only run a GPS and starter off the battery right now. Radio is hand held and I wouldn't change that.

Not critical but just thinking ahead as I always need something to tinker with and cause myself headaches :P . On the other hand, I suppose this would also make cause for a transponder which I need like a dose of AIDS and be enough to find some other project to amuse myself.

Toss out your thoughts.....
Mike

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:57

MikeB

I have recently purchased a

XTREME CHARGE PULSETECH BATTERY MAINTENANCE SYSTEM

5 Stage Charging system, Automatic Test Cycle, give you 2-3 time the life cycle out of any 12 volt battery. A must have!

• Increases battery life by up to 5 times!
• Connect it and leave - safely charges and maintains battery indefinitely
• Properly charges all lead-acid batteries: standard, AGM and Gel types
• Maximum 2.5A charge rate (5.0A effective)
• Microprocessor controls constantly evaluate battery and deliver appropriate charge
• Exclusive Pulse Technology removes sulfation to extend battery life - even while connected to motorcycle/vehicle
• User interface features 12 L.E.D. status indicators
• Weatherproof design
• High impact plastic housing with rubberized base
• 5-year manufacturer’s warranty
Manufacturer: Pulsetech Xtreme
MPN: 100X010

This unit blows away the old selenium rectifier trickle charger I've owned since the '70s

I bought it because I bought a Concorde Sealed Lead Acid battery and did not realize the maintenance they required. You have to keep a float charge on them if you don't fly daily. The old trickle chargers will cook anything in sight and this device is the least expensive smart charger I have seen. You can plug it in and leave it without harming your battery. In fact it will de-sulfate your lead acid battery this way.

Richard in OH
Last edited by hangerash on Wed Nov 06, 2013 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Mar 20, 2013 13:31

Richard,
Thanks! I'll take a look at it. I've just never trusted trickle chargers unless I have them in a spot where I can check them on a periodic basis (which the airport is not). I also have a sealed Concord battery which I don't want to wreck by overcharging and I've noticed that the voltage will creep over 14 volts if I leave it alone for any length of time. Although they never seem to get 'hot'.

Mike

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Wed Mar 20, 2013 16:13

Mike, the alternator is handy but opens up a can of worms like you said. I can appreciate your lack of trust on battery chargers, but we've had good luck with the "Battery Tender" series. About 6 different boxes floating around the shop and hangars with nary a hiccup.

Another option is to pickup a spare battery to keep at home on the charge. Then you can swap out when one starts to get weak.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Nov 06, 2013 17:16

Does anyone have approved paperwork for installing the B & C alternator in a Champ? I know there is a STC available but seems every place I look the alternator is listed as 'experimental only' which has got to raise a red flag with the feds. A couple of us are looking at the idea...... at this point.

Mike

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Nov 16, 2013 20:06

We're still looking at the B & C option :? .

I have a copy of SA02283AK by Endowment Enterprises LLC which lists a number of Continental engines C85-12 -14F, C90-12F, C145-2, 0200 A, B, 0300 A, B so it appears the engines are covered by the STC; however it doesn't list any airframe in particular. There is an extensive installation instruction apparently by the Luscomb organization. We have two 7BCM's (L16A) that are under consideration : my friends has a C85-12 and mine has the 0200A (both legal installations by the way). Maybe two questions or observations: Is it possible that a componet (in this case a permanent magnet generator) that's listed as for 'homebuilts' in the catalogs can be installed under STC? Seems that's the case. Under the STC 'limitations and considerations' (5) it states "This installation approval is limited to aircraft models equipted with a Continental engine" (models as I listed above). Seems like it would be possible to mimic a 7EC installation under the SA02283AK STC and a 337. Does that make sense??? Not sure this is going to happen but we're trying to get our options together as his old heavy generator is giving him trouble and I'm not all that happy about recharging the battery on my 'total loss' sytem and don't like to leave it charging when I'm away from the airport (being a born worrier :oops: ).

Any thoughts from those in the know??

Thanks,
Mike

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Sun Nov 17, 2013 18:59

Mike,
With out looking at the STC, my guess would be for the engine only. The assumption being that the aircraft has an electrical system installed. Adding the electrical system would be an airframe item requiring a separate installation approval.
Using the factory documents would be the best choice for approval. Service Letter 56 allows the 7AC to 7EC modification, including an optional electrical system. It's installed using Champion Kit#170. This was issued in the early 1960's and is approved data, why try to re-invent the wheel.
There are a lot of Snake Oil salesmen out there wanting you to buy their STC. Just because it was STC'd on another plane doesn't constitute blanket approval. You still need to get it approved.
Most of the modifications people want to accomplish already have approval. But finding the documents are tough. I've spent decades finding factory documents to support installations, and the FAA has none of them. If the presentation is professional and accurate the FAA is comfortable approving repairs and alterations, if required.
Generally people ask for approval of items that were previously factory approved. Requiring only log book entry. To the uninformed inspector the entry is considered inaccurate and FAA approval needed. This starts the hamster wheel spinning and doesn't quit until all sanity is lost. A good inspector is worth his weight in gold.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Nov 17, 2013 21:46

Thanks Paul,
I was hoping you'd chime in :) . I think you and I are basically on the same page. I suppose (in our eyes) there isn't much difference between a 7AC or a 7BCM. I'm going to try to get ahold of SL56 and maybe 'peck away' at the modification this winter ...paperwork wise. Seems like it would only be common sense as it allows for an electrical charging system. I don't really fly where a transponder is needed and having spent most of my life savings on transponders and radios when I had my Cherokee I avoid complicated electrical stuff like the plague.

Here's a paperwork item I came across: Buzz Wagner's STC SA3-372 for a 0200 installation in a Champ alludes to the fact that a "basic electrical system installation may be used as on the Chief STC SA57RM" (exact wording) which I thought was interesting. I have a copy of the Chief STC and it does include a complete electrical system including a battery, starter and generator. Probably wouldn't make sense to the feds but it is interesting to say the least. I've been able to get a couple of 337's approved (Cessna 150 exhaust, pop rivets in accordance with Bellanca SL85 and a battery/starter system) so it might be possible if the paperwork and installation make sense and it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen.

Mike

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Nov 18, 2013 13:09

Related to the above: does anyone have a copy of Service Letter 56 they could scan and send to me??
mikejudyberg@centurytel.net
Thanks
Mike

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Nov 18, 2013 14:49

Copy recieved from Ray in Oklahoma.
Thanks,
Mike

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Mon Nov 18, 2013 17:10

Mike,
I love using the STC's from Buzz. They have a lot of details but short on specifics. Just the way they should be. He was able to get much of these items approved. I would add the electrical system just as decribed in the approved STC. " Installed basic electrical sustem per STC XXXX-XX, operational checked good. OK for service." and that's that.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046