Zeftronics generator controller

Aircraft electrical systems. Generators, both engine and wind driven. Other electrical systems, wiring, fuses, lighting and so on.
Mnflyer

Zeftronics generator controller

Post by Mnflyer » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:49

Hi all, I just installed a Zeftronics electronic generator controller (voltage regulator) on the Champ and I really like it the voltage and amps are steady as a rock, the noise in the radio is gone. I have a ICom A6 in the Champ and after installing the electonic controller I no longer need to use the ANL and the squelch setting went from 18 / 19 down to 12 /13.
All in all its a good improvement over the mechanical voltage regulator.
GB MN.Flyer
Flying a Champ 7DC and a HKS Kitfox III

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:56

The joys of modern shielding and filters!

Glad it works better for you!

Joe

Mnflyer

The Joys

Post by Mnflyer » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:54

Actually its the wonders of solid state electronics no relays with points snapping, popping, arcing, sparks burnt contacts and radio waves from the little black box :D :lol: :P
GB MN.Flyer

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sun Jul 06, 2008 17:56

Only downside is that you could actually work in and adjust the older stuff. Oh well, we have to move on eventually and glad that it works better!

Jon B.

Post by Jon B. » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:40

I have one on '57B; it's a very good upgrade from the old tractor regulator. If memory is correct, the cost was around $135 plus something like $20 to the IA to fill out and submit the paperwork.

Of course, since it was already installed, and took 5 months for the approval from the FAA, the Champ was grounded for all that time. Fly it anyway, you say? Well, why didn't I think of that? :lol:

I believe that if you send a copy of the 337 to the manufacturer, they'll add your aircraft make & model to the approved list. Subsequent installers can then have an STC'd component. (It may even be considered a direct replacement and not require an STC.) I haven't done this, though.

Jon B.
Jon B.

BobK

Post by BobK » Thu Jun 25, 2009 15:01

Ok, so Im tired of setting the squelch on my Icom to 21-22 in order to get rid of the noise, and Ive gotten more than one comment from the tower on how my radio transmissions end with static, like someone else is talking over me... Time for a Zeftronics regulator !

I went to the Zeftronics site, and they list 6 different versions for 12 volt systems... Any ideas on which one I need ???

G1xxON
G1xxOP
G1xxEN
G1xxKN
G1xxPN
G1xxVN

Also will be looking into a new starter. My old Delco is just about shot... Has the B&C vs. Skytec battle been decided ?

Thanks !

Bob K.
Anchorage, AK

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Thu Jun 25, 2009 19:02

Bob,

I would send an email to Zefttronics and ask them what they recommend. Give them the info on your plane and so on and sure that they have the info you are looking for.

Joe

Mnflyer

Zeftronics generator control

Post by Mnflyer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 19:32

Hi Bob it depends on what generator you have if its a 15 amp or 20 amp or 35 amp etc. the G1200N is for 15 to 20 amp , the G1350N is for 35 amp the G1500N for the 50 amp generators. As for the starter I have a Skytec on my Champ and really like it and have had zero problems with it and would go with them again. And I absolutely am sold on the Zeftronic generator controller I have zero static on the Icom 6A, the voltage is steady as a rock at 13.9 VDC.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... ntunit.php
GB MN.Flyer