Mag Switch

Aircraft electrical systems. Generators, both engine and wind driven. Other electrical systems, wiring, fuses, lighting and so on.
jkvincent

Mag Switch

Post by jkvincent » Sun Dec 14, 2008 07:38

...I've got an AAF Type A7 Mag switch and I'd like to take the (red) knob/selector switch off to sand and paint it.
I know I could mask it off and paint, but it wouldn't be as neat a job. It looks like the selector actually goes under
the faceplate. I was not wanting to bend back the "prongs" on the back side to take it apart fearing
that they would break off if I bend them out, and then bend back in.
How do I take this thing apart without creating more problems? Jim

john-ranger

Post by john-ranger » Sun Dec 14, 2008 14:05

I've wondered the same. Mine needs painting.
John
Aeronca 7AC
N83406

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Sun Dec 14, 2008 22:37

There was a write up in EAA Oct. 2003 on rebuilding and painting an A7. I think you can find it in the members section on their website.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

james gevay

Post by james gevay » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:26

Yes the write up was in the Vintage Airplane, the Antique Classic division's magazine.
It described how take the mag switches apart and clean the contacts up, but it did not go into taking the handle part off. You would have to drill out 2 rivets, one each at 3 and 6 0-clock on the face plate.
I've wanted to do the same, to paint the handle and face plate, but I'm worried if the new AN rivets would interfere with the middle mechanism and keep it from rotating.
This is what the switch looks like inside, this is an A-8, probably nearly identical to an A-7.

Looking at the second picture, I don't think the new rivets would interfer with the middle part that rotates, but don't take my word on it. It looks like the middle part is off center but it's not, it's just the angle from the picture.
By the way, can anyone tell me what the orginal color was on the switch handle? I don't think it was bright red, I think it was a dull reddish brown, almost like a maroon.

jkvincent

Post by jkvincent » Mon Dec 15, 2008 16:45

Guys, ...I searched till I was "blue-in-the-face" but couldn't find the article.
Thanks to James, he came thru with the photos. Looks like you do have to bend back the prongs
and drill the rivets to separate the switch knob.

James, just one other thing, ...what kind of clocks do you folks have in MN?
3 and 6 0-clock on the face plate :wink:
...just kiddin', thanks Jim

james gevay

Post by james gevay » Mon Dec 15, 2008 18:36

I know it's the one with Bill Pancake's blue and white Champ on the cover.
Be very carefull and only bend the tabs enough to get the plate off and no more, any extra times you bend them back and forth and they will fatigue crack.
I think you guys get the idea even though I can't tell time.

Carl Prather

Bill Pancake's Aeronca Article

Post by Carl Prather » Sun Feb 15, 2009 00:42

Would the April, 2003 edition of the EAA Vintage Aviation magazine be the one you're looking for? That has a great article on his 7AC, NC1809E, the blue and white champ, lovingly created with a Chief nose, McDowell starter, a 13 gallon tank in each wing and the Chief paint scheme. He built this masterpiece virtually from scratch. To me, it's like flying artwork.

I keep the article on my garage wall for inspiration.

Here's the URL:

http://www.vintageaircraft.org/featured ... %20Way.pdf

Kif

Re: Mag Switch

Post by Kif » Thu Sep 30, 2010 19:02

Was wondering if anyone has come up with the original colors, (black and red)? I am in the process of redoing the switch also and would like to paint it to original colors. Thanks.
Keith Wernsman
7AC-6609 N3023E

wadamson

Re: Mag Switch

Post by wadamson » Sat May 14, 2011 21:25

I just did one with out taking it apart. I just removed the old paint from the whole front of the switch and wiped down with MEK.
I then cleaned out the lettering and taped off the back side of the switch. Then I carefuly masked the black portion and and painted the lever. Let it dry completely. Carefuly pull the tape off, carefull not to pull any of the red off. Ounce the lever is cured carefuly mask the lever. I then painted the black portion with very light coats to avoid filling in the lettering.
After all are dry I used a fine pick the clean out the lettering. Using a tooth pick I put some white enamal in the lettering and let it sit for a little while to set up then wipped it with a smooth cloth to get rid of the ecess white, be carefrull here not wiped the paint out of the lettering.
All done. :D