Ward Aero Wind Generator

Aircraft electrical systems. Generators, both engine and wind driven. Other electrical systems, wiring, fuses, lighting and so on.
seaheli

Re: Ward Aero Wind Generator

Post by seaheli » Wed Jun 23, 2010 19:50

If you can obtain a drawing or an actual part, I will research the cost and time for billet propeller.

Charles

David Johnson

Post by David Johnson » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:38

Charles, I have a spare propeller. If you want, I could arrange to have it shipped to you. Let me know what you think. Thanks, David J.

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Fri Jun 25, 2010 17:45

As well I have one of the "three piece" props where its got a hub then two separate blades.

One of my blades is broken but if we can reverse engineer them we can make all we need.

Let me know if you want to try this one as well.

Joe A

David Johnson

Post by David Johnson » Sun Jun 27, 2010 16:33

Looks like the generator is a Johnson/Evinrude Part #378160. There is a new one on ebay now. Parts still look available. I am taking mine to a nearby rebuild shop. I can now tell them what it is from! David J.

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Tue Jun 29, 2010 16:05

Joe,
Years ago I picked up some blades, but haven't seen them in years. If I run across them I'll send you a set. If I remember right, when you have adjustable blades you need to have a prop brake on the generator.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Tue Jun 29, 2010 18:45

Paul,

Thanks much and need to dig them out myself.

BTW, how are you feeling? Really sorry that you could not make Middletown. It was one of the best get togethers we have had in years.

How far are you from the "Wings of History" museum? I may be taking a load of wooden props over to Guy next week sometime. After I got to the "three props to overhaul" point it became easier to drive them from Phoenix than ship!

Joe

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Wed Jun 30, 2010 21:25

Joe,
It's been a slow process. I'm trying to get back to work today but the doctors can't agree on it. I begged my doc to let me go to Middletown but she wouldn't budge. Maybe I'll have something cool to fly to Middletown in 2012.
I do some work for the museum and they are only about 2 miles from the house. Give me the dates you will be in town and we can hook up.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

David Johnson

Post by David Johnson » Sat Jul 03, 2010 05:56

Anyone know what the cast cutout on the left side is for? Looks to me like the prop would not balance this way. Don't know to leave it that way or not. The drilled holes appear to be balancing holes. Thanks, David J.

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sat Jul 03, 2010 08:39

David,

Is the other side solid?

Agree that the drill holes appear to be balance holes, but who-ever made this prop put the "half moon cutout" there for a reason. Wonder if it was just to save weight?

Joe A

David Johnson

Post by David Johnson » Sat Jul 03, 2010 09:09

Joe, here is the front side. Charles (Seaheli) will have a prop in a couple of days. He is checking on a billet replacement. I can't figure the reason for the cut out. A little slow I guess....David J.

N86250

Post by N86250 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:19

As it is keyed to the shaft and only fits one way, it must be to balance the internal parts of the generator itself. Much like an external counterweight on a crankshaft. jrh

David Johnson

Post by David Johnson » Sat Jul 03, 2010 14:06

That is something I had not thought about. Very good idea. Thanks! David J.

Classicaero

Post by Classicaero » Sun Aug 22, 2010 16:54

Classic Aero at 480-650-0883 has a complete Ward Aero manual available for $20. Also have about 6-8 of the later isolation style generator mounting brackets available for sale. If some one makes props we would take a couple.

Doug
Doug Combs, for Classic Aero LLC.
Purveyors of lightweight alternators for vintage aircraft, parts for Cleveland and Goodyear Mechanical brakes, Ball bearing pulleys for Luscombe, Aeronca, and Taylorcraft,
support for Luscombe aircraft.

David Johnson

Post by David Johnson » Mon Aug 23, 2010 08:37

Thanks Doug, I will be ordering one as soon as you folks open up out west. I have not heard from the billet propeller project yet. David J.

David Johnson

Post by David Johnson » Mon Sep 06, 2010 13:51

Looks like the new prop project is a bust. Charles(seaheli) did everything he could. Was going to be at least $300.00 per prop. Looks like I will be keeping an eye on all the swap meets for a backup or two. Many Thanks again Charles. You have an incredible can-do attitude on all this airplane stuff! FYI, I have already warned him the Georgia Boys may make a detour over his way and repossess him on the way to Middletown 2012. I think he would enjoy himself, and we would all like to meet him in person. David J.

P.S. I talked to the Aeronca dude at Wag(Tom I think), he was not sure about Wag owning the type certificate for the Ward Aero generator or not. He did tell me they just cleaned out a storage barn recently, and threw away a whole box of propellers for some kind of wind driven generator. Wish I had called a few months ago. Betcha they were what we needed. Murphy's Law you know.....