Ward Areo value

Aircraft electrical systems. Generators, both engine and wind driven. Other electrical systems, wiring, fuses, lighting and so on.
Senior

Ward Areo value

Post by Senior » Wed Sep 15, 2010 16:36

I got this Ward Areo gen & Prestolite VR with a project I bought.
It looks in real nice shape, can't guarrentee it works but I don't see why not. Prop has absolutely no nicks or wear. Very light surface rust on case...see pic
Like to get rid of it.
What's it's value on the market?

46 Chief Serial #11AC-80
originally N86275 now C-GQHP
46 Taylorcarft in rebuild

joea
Site Admin

Re: Ward Areo value

Post by joea » Wed Sep 15, 2010 21:20

Do you have the mount that goes with it?

Carl Prather

Post by Carl Prather » Wed Sep 15, 2010 23:55

Senior,

My favorite way of valuing things for which I lack knowledge is by going through a range of values until the item's value seem too low and when the item's price seems too high then splitting the difference. I presume the generator is in working order and like Joe says, the value could be affected by whether there's an applicable mount, so here goes. It seems that $100 would a real good deal for a wind-driven generator and voltage regulator and $300 seems a bit stiff. A car generator will bring a $100 and a brand new Generator like the BAS is about $800 so I think a used one would go for half or a bit better but what you have is an older, maybe in some eyes a less desirable version of the BAS. (BTW that's not not my view, I like vintage but we Aeronca types are like that) So, I think it might sell between $175 to $225 dollars.

Having said all that mumble jumbo, putting a nice, well-presented listing in eBay will give you the true value of the generator. I would place a reserve on the item but start the generator at a very low number to initiate interest and see what happens. If you don't really want to keep the generator, don't set the reserve too high. In that case I say move the item, don't fall in love with it! But if you want it, then keep it!

Hope the helps.

Carl Prather

Senior

Post by Senior » Thu Sep 16, 2010 08:26

joea wrote:Do you have the mount that goes with it?
I have this.

Carl: I hate E-bay, I would rather some-one that could use it got a deal.
46 Chief Serial #11AC-80
originally N86275 now C-GQHP
46 Taylorcarft in rebuild

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Thu Sep 16, 2010 16:14

Senior,
I'll give you 100 bucks for it.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046