Another Battery install question

Aircraft electrical systems. Generators, both engine and wind driven. Other electrical systems, wiring, fuses, lighting and so on.
Sgt. NCSHP

Another Battery install question

Post by Sgt. NCSHP » Wed Mar 23, 2011 20:45

I operate a lot in a MOA that is active with Ospreys flying low level with a lot of frequency. I have asked my A&P about installing a battery as a backup power source for my GPS and handheld radio. I would like to install a Redbarron XP strobe on top on the wing root fairing. The battery is the Odessey 18A/H PC 680 used with frequency in the RV's . I am getting conflicting stories as to whether I need a field approval and 337. Some are saying by installing the light on the wingroot fairing its tmeporary and the battery can just be laid on floor with the metal box cover scewed to the floor which would be also be temporary. What is the opinion of the group? I want to do the right thing :shock:
Last edited by Sgt. NCSHP on Thu Mar 24, 2011 05:27, edited 1 time in total.
Joey from the coast of the Carolinas

RRHaldeman

Re: Another Battery install question

Post by RRHaldeman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 22:19

Send me a PM with your email address. Or send me an email. Mine is listed below. I installed a battery in my 7AC, solely to energize a starter motor, and as a backup for my handheld and GPS. Yes, you need a 337 but be sure to use a previously approved 337. It will make it much easier. I have the 337s I used as well as some great photos of my installation that could help you. Problem with a lot of FSDOs is that the new guys know so little about our aircraft that it is safer for them to say "No" than approve a simple installation.
Dick Haldeman, RRHaldeman AT aol DOT com
Cell (815) 222-9812
1946 7AC-2407 N83729

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Mar 24, 2011 09:02

Joey,
You definitely need a 337 for the battery installation to be 'legal'. I suppose you could stick a small battery in the baggage compartments and string some temporary wires but I suspect you want to do it right as you said. I think the problem comes in once you 'attach' something that's not listed in the paperwork. Personally, I'd think a battery used for safety purposes would be a no-brainer, but what do I know?

I just got my 337 battery installation approved for the Sky-Tec starter and it went through the first time..hallelujah!!

Also (another thought) it seems like in the back of my weak mind there is an approved installation for a 6 volt battery for lights (???). It seems like that would be good supporting documentation for installing a 12 volt battery for the same reasons. Unsure where you find the installation paperwork, though.

MikeB

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Mar 24, 2011 22:22

On the Type Certificate (A-759) under electrical equipment, item 304 a and b, there is a notation listing a 6 volt battery and battery box. That's the only one I see for the 7AC's and I'm unsure what else is involved but it seems to me that would make a case for installing a 12 volt battery for safety purposes, i.e. radio and strobe light, etc. As it's a 6 volt system it must be pretty old. Even my old 1940 "H" Farmall is switched over to 12 volts. I wonder if it wasn't part of the old wind generator system.

MikeB

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sat Mar 26, 2011 17:35

I have also seen batteries mounted using velcro, and as such they are not "installed" and do not require a 337. The wiring to the devices might require paperwork but you can get around the battery paperwork in this manner.

barnstmr

Post by barnstmr » Fri Apr 01, 2011 15:28

I hate to be a spoil sport, but VELCRO is not a proper support for a Battery. Battery installation, like any modification, requires FAA approved data. But you don't need to do a field approval if you have a DER approval. Take a look at the Certified Aeronautical Products web-log and see about doing a 337 with DER Support.

Anyone flying around with a velcro battery installation in a certificated aircraft is doing so illegally, unless he or she has FAA approved data for the installation design. I doubt you could use enough velcro to pass the G-loading requirements. I would sure hate to see one of our friends end up losing their life (and possibly their passenger too) because of a battery lying against their rudder pedal.
Terry Bowden
FAA Consultant DER
CERTIFIED AERONAUTICAL PRODUCTS
1946 Taylorcraft BC12-D N95598
1956 Champion 7EC N7494B

email: barnstmr@aol.com

Sgt. NCSHP

Post by Sgt. NCSHP » Fri Apr 01, 2011 20:57

I have decided to go by a 337 that has already been approved for another Aeronca and doing the installation exactly as approved previously. Using the exact same parts, bolts, wire and battery part number. I have pictures of the approved installation and doing everthing as a mirror image and putting it in the exact same place within the cabin. The only difference is getting approval for the strobe light installation. Will let ya know how it turns out.
Joey from the coast of the Carolinas