7BCM ELEC SYSTEM

Aircraft electrical systems. Generators, both engine and wind driven. Other electrical systems, wiring, fuses, lighting and so on.
williamc

7BCM ELEC SYSTEM

Post by williamc » Fri Dec 28, 2012 23:51

Anyone,HELP.
I'm considering installing a Sky-Tec starter and Light weight alternator(STC SA02283AK) on a 7BCM plane with a C85-12F and no electrical system. Has anyone on the forum gotten paper work approval for this kind of installation. I have already received good paper work for the Sky-Tec starter installation from Dick Haldeman and Larry Clark. Thanks in advance for your help. Hope everyone has a great new year.
Bill
Carolina Aeronca Pilot

Al Hatz

Re: 7BCM ELEC SYSTEM

Post by Al Hatz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 09:03

The starter shouldn't need anything other then a 337 on the starter install and one on the switch install, both are approved under the AML. The alternator/generator (which is what the B&C really is) would need a field approval. Depends on your FSDO but it should be fairly easy, just make a 337 showing you will install it in accordance with the STC and installation drawings and that the 7BCM is certified under the same TCDS as the 7EC, which is approved under STC SA02283AK AML.
The rub may come in if the FAA Inspector starts digging into the the TCDS and see's that it shows the 7BCM is only approved with a C85-8.

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Sat Dec 29, 2012 09:09

On my Chief, I first had to get the C-85-12 approved as installed and then the Don's Dream Machine STC and the SkyTech STC and 337s took care of the rest.
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

williamc

Post by williamc » Sat Dec 29, 2012 09:29

Al,
The C85-12F is being installed by STC# SA232SO, I forgot to put that in my first post. I'm a little shy about going ahead with the installation without approved paper work from another Aeronca 7AC, 7BCM or 7CCM to show the FAA that the complete installation has been approved before on a similar plane. Thanks.
Bill
Carolina Aeronca Pilot

Al Hatz

Post by Al Hatz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:28

The 7EC is approved under the STC's AML and should be close enough for the FAA because they're all certified under the same TCDS. Get the paperwork process going first, you need to get your A&P to send in a 337 showing the alternator installation and that the STC is approved for the 7EC, 7FC, etc. Normally you don't have to actually install it first, the field approval is just saying that you have or can. After the FAA inspector approves the 337 he will sign it and send it back to the A&P, when the work is finished the A&P will sign it and then the I.A. will approve it. If for some reason the FAA does want to personally inspect it before he approves it, it doesn't take that long to stick it on.
Last edited by Al Hatz on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:33, edited 1 time in total.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:31

I have paperwork for the battery and Sky-Tec starter installation. (7BCM-0200) Basically I used the 7EC as a model and wrote the paperwork from there and it went through with no problem. The Sky-Tec pretty much gives the installation instruction, wires sizes, etc. I've been toying with the thought of installing a B & C charging system but it does open up another can of worms (transponder, etc.) and mine is already heavier than I wanted.

When you write the 337 "safety and no need to hand prop" should appear somewhere in the rational.

Mike

williamc

Post by williamc » Sat Dec 29, 2012 23:22

Mike,
I have copies of great paper work for installing the Sky-Tec starter. What I need now is approved paper work that installed a light weight alternator using STC#SA02283AK. I thank the other guys for the instructions on how to write it up but my A & P and AI would like to see existing paper work on another champ. If I can't find another plane's paper work, i'll use Al's advise on how procede with my own paper work. Since my plane is not on the approved model list, It will be a lot easier to get FAA approval by referencing another plane similar to my plane. I will not be installing a transponder because the only airspace I want to enter near here is class D. Hope you have a great new year. I'm looking forward to getting my book.
Bill
Carolina Aeronca Pilot

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:12

Bill,

I have a 7CCM that they put an electrical system in 2005. The 337 has a FSDO stamp approving the data.

PM me you email address and I will scan it into a PDF and forward it to you.
Richard

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:40

Bill,

I'm in training on how to do all this picture/file stuff so if this doesn't work, my apologies.

Try this link:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1024270325 ... directlink

It is the paperwork that was filed for my application.
Richard