Visit with Grumps.......

Photos of our airplanes, hopefully Aeronca but if not so be it!
SFC Hiatt

Visit with Grumps.......

Post by SFC Hiatt » Sat Jul 09, 2011 17:38

After observing the NAA discussion group for several years I knew I needed to meet “Grumps” before I left Georgia. Today I had the privilege of stopping by his beautiful home field. Don’t be fooled by his screen name, his beautiful wife and Son could not have been more hospitable. The rain chased me away before I got to see everything so I guess I have to go back. (Wink, wink)
Thanks Grumps, I’ll be back as soon as your leg heals.

Greg Herrick's Paramount Cabinaire restored by Grumps Son Nathan Rounds (Nostalgic Aircraft Restorations)

MikeB

Re: Visit with Grumps.......

Post by MikeB » Sat Jul 09, 2011 22:41

Great pictures of the aircraft but what is the green tractor in the background? Almost looks like an old Oliver.

Mikeb (Aeronca and tractor lover)

Captgrumps

Post by Captgrumps » Sat Jul 09, 2011 23:27

Tractor is a 1930 John Deere Model D-- Fly wheel start. Cabin is '39 Aeronca Chief undergoing some upgrade and engine work. Champ in back is getting C-85 O-200 crank conversion engine with self commencer. BTB Airline fuselage is 1931 Stinson JR-S--the old Blakesburg BTB Flagship Airliner of the early 1970's. Also a tongue in cheek local airliner when when airline degregualtion was passed. It is waiting for wings to be finished. Only operated off grass runways & occasionally a paved one if needed.

We enjoyed the Sgt's visit--but the rain came to early.

Doug
Keep the pointed end forward--
The dirty side down.....
And the blue skies on top....

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Jul 10, 2011 13:09

Thanks Doug! I thought the old tractor might be 99 Oliver with the old 3-71 Detroit (GMC) Diesel. Cut my teeth on those engines in my younger days in the trucking business so I have a soft spot for them although they weren't that great of a truck engine....converted diesel fuel into smoke and noise!!
Old guys like old things, I guess.
Mike

Captgrumps

Post by Captgrumps » Sun Jul 10, 2011 15:55

It dazzles the younger set when in a parade--watching start it with the fly wheel and then chugging along with the hand clutch and throttle. You can make it run and snort like the old one lung John Deere engines, which it is a version, while moving along, just a little bit bigger engine on wheels. You hear a John Deere early engine or a radial aircraft engine and you never forget the unique sound. Sorta like knowing it is a Champ from a Cub before seeing it. To an oldtimer, beautiful. To some of the younger set, just a glancing what is that.

Doug
Keep the pointed end forward--
The dirty side down.....
And the blue skies on top....

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Mon May 28, 2012 15:47

Great thread and glad to finally see a photo of Doug!