sliding window maintenance

Photos of our airplanes, hopefully Aeronca but if not so be it!
dikholder

sliding window maintenance

Post by dikholder » Sat Sep 29, 2012 04:10

what can you do to free up a very sticky sliding window? Mine seems to need a crowbar attached to it.

rkittine

Re: sliding window maintenance

Post by rkittine » Sat Sep 29, 2012 18:21

On my Champ, I took out the two sliding sections and used polishing compound to clean the edges and then cleaned out the tracks while the panels were out. I was going to buy new tracks, until I saw how much they want for them, so I just cleaned them and worked a little soap into them. You might also want to check all the screws holder the tracks to make sure that the tracks are square and not causing the binding.
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Sat Sep 29, 2012 19:53

Thanks I will give that a shot, you are probably right about the adjustment. This is a plane which sat in an Alaskan hay field for 37 years and the wood will need replacing.

Dik

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Sun Sep 30, 2012 00:09

Once you get the track's clean and straight, glue thin felt to top and bottom edges of the windows. It's often overlooked during a rebuild, but makes them slide like butter and keeps them from rattling.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Sun Sep 30, 2012 09:02

Thanks - I will have to try the felt. I have it vertically to help seal and never thought to put it on the top and bottom.
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Sun Sep 30, 2012 19:41

This from this PM's time in the hangar. For the person needing a crowbar : one thing which may be happening is that (Based on Chief geometry, not sure if champ is identical) the rear sliding window has a front edge vertically mouted metal component which can move forward of the separators mounted in both the top and bottom tracks to hold the windows apart. If it does and sufficient pressure is applied to the vertical metal piece on the front edge of the rear Window, it can get stuck behind the separator and you really do need a crowbar to move it. But, with a very small amount of pressure applied to the stuck window from the outside of the cabin, it is very easy to move the window past (toward the closed position) the catch point and return it to its' initial sliding status.

NKH; Your thin felt fix sounds great. Did you only apply the felt to the bottom of the tracks or did you also put felt on both edges of the vertical separators in the sliding channels ? My Chief has the center vertical separators covered (partly now) with masking tape. I think this was to make the windows slide easier but I strongly recommend against this approach.

Another question about Chief window construction. Does anyone know the proper description of the screws used to secure the inside finishing piece ? I am about 5 short. The ones I have are slotted.

Dale

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Wed Oct 03, 2012 04:18

Thank you all for the inputs. This window is actually on a Sedan, but I am sure the slides are similar.

Dik

dikholder

Re:door handle access

Post by dikholder » Wed Oct 03, 2012 04:25

My next pesky question is how do you get the interior door trim apart on the stock panels. I am guessing that the eustacions are held by the same little clips that cars have. Anyone got the "book" answer on this one? My seaplane door is corroded shut and I need to access the handle interior mechanism.

Dik

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Wed Oct 03, 2012 14:58

Dale,
I glued the felt to the window's top and bottom edges. It's much easier to lay the felt down smoothly and when you pop the windows out at a later date, you can clean out the track. Trying to glue felt down in the "W" channel would be a chore and collect sand, dirt and grime.

I also use a thick strip of felt glued to the leading edge of the rear window. Something thick enough to seal the gap so the windows don't rattle and cold air doesn't seep in.

Dik, I'm not up to speed on Sedans, hopefully Matt or someone will chime in.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

dikholder

Post by dikholder » Wed Oct 03, 2012 16:06

All your fixes sound like they should work for me too. Felt is easy to get with stiky back already applied at the local Ben Franklins, so it will even be relatively cheap. I had wondered how to replace the original windlace between the windows. Sticky thick felt sounds like an excellent solution. Did you use the sticky back felt or do you have a glue that works better?

Dik

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Wed Oct 03, 2012 23:40

That should work fine. I used some 3M spray glue, like you use on a car headliner. 3M 77 I think. Masked off the window, then sprayed it and felt.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

Champ Dreamer

Post by Champ Dreamer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:03

I picked up some velcro at Walmart yesterday, in the Crafts department. Sticky back, 3/4" x 24" for $3. Worked perfectly. Also, we figured out how to make the tracks (I am in the Sheet Metal business). Used the original drawings. Tried .020 aluminum, but it split at the hem. Decided to READ the blueprint; it called for steel. We used light ga galvanized and it worked perfectly. Braking the profile was difficult, but we figured out the proper sequence. If anyone needs tracks, I could provide an "owner produced part" for a very reasonable cost.

Brian Walker
'46 7AC, now DC

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:50

My Champ (presently resting in my shop with the wings off :cry: ) has some kind of a chrome channel with a 'fuzzy' inside for the windows to slide in. I remember that we used to replace these in the windows on trucks when I worked for a fleet. I haven't seen them for years but they made a nice tight window fit. Although a guy could spend a life time trying to plug up leaks in these old timers. Apparently Aeronca wasn't too concerned about the pilots 'comfort' especially with the original "Y" pipe exhaust system. About the only thing that's warm with that system is your left foot. Both my L16 and Champ have the Cessna 150 exhaust system so they have somewhat better heat.
The wing root area is another spot where the cold air leaks through although it's possible to seal it off.
MikeB

Ralph W. Fadner

Post by Ralph W. Fadner » Wed Oct 31, 2012 22:14

Hey Brian;

I'll be needing some sliding window track very soon for my Champ rebuild. Had the old automotive fuzzy tracks in it before....seemed to work OK but was it ever HEAVY!!

I'll bite for a set of yours if you're still making them. You can PM me @ 206pilot@charter.net or the cell is 678-571-0820.

Thanks, Ralph W. Fadner
RW Fadner

DELCOM

Post by DELCOM » Wed Oct 31, 2012 23:36

Brian

I have a 7BCM about half way finished and will be needing some also. Will you be making more?

Thanks

Del
N84029 7AC conv. #2716 Completed and flying
N83059 7BCM #1715 fully restored and sold