Chief rear tank fuel gauge

Fuel tanks, systems and parts
Rich Valler

Chief rear tank fuel gauge

Post by Rich Valler » Mon Jul 06, 2009 18:23

I recently visited a friend’s workshop here on the south coast of England, from which a rather splendid Chief will soon emerge to grace the UK skies after a bare-frame nut-and-bolt rebuild.

I noticed that the moving surface of the rear fuel-tank gauge is bare metal, the quantity being denoted only by the markings stamped into the face; while this is acceptable, it is perhaps not ideal. I know the gauge in my Champ’s nose-tank has stamped markings which stand out against a black background; however, this gauge sits above the tank whilst the Chief’s is mid-tank and therefore more consistently immersed in fuel. Apparently all the paints that have been tried have softened and detached from the surface when immersed in fuel.

Should the Chief’s gauge be bare metal, or can anyone recommend a fuel-resistant paint that can be applied? I have searched the forum, I hope I didn’t miss the answer.

It may be an academic question for this rebuild as the tank is fully fitted and the trim is in. However, as my chum has another Chief awaiting restoration, any advice would be gratefully received !

Thanks and regards
Rich

PS: when this Chief returns to the air it will bring the currently airworthy UK-registered Chief population to 16, plus 19 Champs, and one example each of K-series, O-58 Defender, 100 (=C3), and a Sedan.

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Mon Jul 06, 2009 18:48

Rich,

How about powder coating? Or painting and baking it in the oven?

Joe A

Rich Valler

Post by Rich Valler » Tue Jul 14, 2009 04:53

Thanks Joe, I'll pass that on.
Regards
Rich