Routing of Fuel Valve Control

Fuel tanks, systems and parts
Robert Henley

Routing of Fuel Valve Control

Post by Robert Henley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 20:38

I am making some progress on my Champ. I have modified my interior panels to fit the raised floorboards. Now I am ready to fit the left side panel. I am not sure of the routing of the control arm that goes to the fuel valve. I also don't understand how the side panel fits at its forward position. There is a bracket there (the fuel arm may go through that bracket) and it seems to have rubbed against the old panel.

Anybody have some pictures they could share with me on this installation?

Regards

Robert
1947 7AC Champ
N3621E, 7AC-6950
Cont C-85-12F
Restoring

AV8R2

Re: Routing of Fuel Valve Control

Post by AV8R2 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 14:23

The fuel valve control handle that you use to operate the valve is piloted by the 3-547 Engine Control Box Assembly that is mounted to the left side panel. It is possible for the handle rod/tube length to rub on the panel. The panel is mounted on the forward end by sheet metal screws to the airframe.

There should also be a 2-1510 Guard Assembly Kit installed per Service Helps and Hints #55, Sept. 20, 1951. This was a mandatory Factory Change. John Houser was the engineer that did the sketch. If anyone needs a copy of the bulletin (#55) and the sketch, contact me and I will email a copy of it to you. burl@biginalaska.com

If I'm not mistaken, the bracket at the forward end supports the handle like you say but there is a P/N 1-2458 u-joint that attaches an intermediate rod, P/N 1-2457, to the fuel valve in the nose tank. This connection is made using another 1-2458 u-joint. This intermediate rod or tube is 17 3/16" long over all. The 1/8" dia. holes are drilled 1/8" back from each end and are drilled on the same plane or center line.

We have just completed out refit for the Champ and Chief nose tank valves to the proper sized pipe thread; 1/4" instead of the 3/8" that was erroneously drawn and listed in the valve drawing.

Our new valve requires that the intermediate rod be shortened 1/2" because our valve is that much longer from center line to the u-joint. The new valve is supplied with a u-joint and an extra u-joint so the this new connection will remove any slop or looseness in the way the valve operates. Our new u-joints are made from stainless steel and are much stronger and resist deformation much better than the old u-joint. These u-joints are available separately, too for $30.00 each.

A drawing will accompany the valve showing how to re-drill and shorten the rod or tube to the proper length, etc. as well as the usual installation instructions and ICA.

Blue skies and tail winds to all!

Burl
When all else fails, go to the source. Factory Approved parts and data will get you back in the air.

Robert Henley

Post by Robert Henley » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:08

Burl

Thanks for the info. That helps. I hope to get back to the project and get the control installed. I have the drawing of the guard assembly kit. Thanks for offering it.

As an aside, my wife and I just returned from a vacation trip to Alaska. We didn't have time to stop by to see you. :) We were on a tour with Princess.

Robert
1947 7AC Champ
N3621E, 7AC-6950
Cont C-85-12F
Restoring

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 16:40

Robert,
I don't believe there is any type of closure at the front of the side panels. The fuel rod goes through the tab gizmo up front and the rear is supported by the switch well. I have installed a bit of micarta where the rod passes into the well because the rod will wear the hole oblong. The universal attaches to the forward end,then to the intermediate rod, another universal and to the valve..... and viola..... the valve leaks!
Keep up the good work. Maybe we can get together at Copperstate.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

Robert Henley

Post by Robert Henley » Thu Sep 09, 2010 18:39

Paul Agaliotis wrote:Robert,
Keep up the good work. Maybe we can get together at Copperstate.
Paul
Paul

I'll be there on Friday and Saturday. I volunteer to work the mobile registration golf cart. My wife works in the registration trailer.

Maybe we can determine how to find each other as we get closer to the fly-in.

Robert
1947 7AC Champ
N3621E, 7AC-6950
Cont C-85-12F
Restoring

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Thu Sep 09, 2010 21:07

I should be there. Usually am a judge with the Aeronca group, so lets see.

Am going to the NBAA meeting in Atlanta this year and its held the 19th to the 21st so its going to be a bit tight but hope I can do all of it.

Joe A