Best type of Gaskets for repairing Fuel gauge

Fuel tanks, systems and parts
WWhunter

Best type of Gaskets for repairing Fuel gauge

Post by WWhunter » Wed May 11, 2011 12:23

Okay, guess it is time to get off my butt and fix the leak in my fuel gauge. This is for the fuel gauge in the fuselage. While looking through the parts I need in the FAA approved Model "A" parts catalogs I noticed that there are both cork and neopreme type gaskets. Would the neopreme be better with the use of auto fuel? Since I use auto gas more often then 100LL I guess either may work.
Is there a prefernce? Since many of you guys have already gone down this route could you tell me who has the best price including shipping?
Thanks,
WW

Nathan K. Hammond

Re: Best type of Gaskets for repairing Fuel gauge

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Wed May 11, 2011 16:28

I went to Napa and bought a package of cork sheet and made them myself. Used a little bit of Fuel Lube to help seal it up. No leaks in 10 years.

Cork will work in Av-Auto-Mo-Grain fuels.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Wed May 11, 2011 16:49

At one time I used the neopreme but no more. I also buy a sheet of cork and cut my own. It is not difficult to do and they last a lot longer as Nathan pointed out.

Dennis

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed May 11, 2011 17:42

I bought the FAA certified :wink: Ford kit from one of the Model A (Snyder ??) one line part outfits. The neopreme didn't work for some reason and one of my friends who is in the Model A restoration business gave me a cork gasket that fit perfectly. I'm sure you could cut one out too. I couldn't get the nut off to replace the face gasket without a lot of force so left well enough alone at this point. Hopefully it won't leak.
MikeB

WWhunter

Post by WWhunter » Wed May 11, 2011 23:02

Thanks guys!!! I must have a had a brain fart!!! I used to restore cars and have a roll of cork gasket in my assortment of crap in the hanger.....never even crossed my mind to make my own. Must be getting old....caught a bad case of CRS (Can't Remember Sh!t). LOL
My plane has the knurled nut so hopefully it won't be too much of an issue to remove.
On a side note. I recently found some 100LL for $3.99/gl. !!!! Can you believe that? Cheaper than premium auto gas.
Unfortunately I don't have any more gas cans to fill up....the price will go up to $5.35/gallon tomorrow morning. :(
WW