Baggage compartment aux fuel system

Fuel tanks, systems and parts
brink

Baggage compartment aux fuel system

Post by brink » Wed Sep 14, 2011 05:48

Hello Flyers:
I am in the process of a restoration: I have a 5.5 gallon aux fuel tank, above my baggage compartment. It's installed according to the Aeronca drawing, and routed via Aluminum tubing thru an on/off fuel valve with the required placard and 337 to the standard Aeronca nose 13 gallon tank. The rear tank is vented and an over fill that also acts as a vent is routed out the belly. My question is, Are any other members operating a 7AC or DC Champ 75 Continental conversion with this aux fuel system installed? Please respond, The Drawing is not to clear on several points. A fellow flyer Sunny

Mikek

Re: Baggage compartment aux fuel system

Post by Mikek » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:23

brink wrote:Hello Flyers:
I am in the process of a restoration: I have a 5.5 gallon aux fuel tank, above my baggage compartment. It's installed according to the Aeronca drawing, and routed via Aluminum tubing thru an on/off fuel valve with the required placard and 337 to the standard Aeronca nose 13 gallon tank. The rear tank is vented and an over fill that also acts as a vent is routed out the belly. My question is, Are any other members operating a 7AC or DC Champ 75 Continental conversion with this aux fuel system installed? Please respond, The Drawing is not to clear on several points. A fellow flyer Sunny
I have a project that is several years from flying, it is a 7AC with A75-8 I hope to install the tank I have also. I have tank & drawings but that's it, would like to get a copy of your 337.

Mike K
Mike Knemeyer

1410 Meadow Lane
Yellow Springs,Ohio 45387

3oh0
N83348 7AC-2015
N82146 7AC-772

Carl Prather

Post by Carl Prather » Wed Sep 14, 2011 21:51

Brink and Mike,

Those more knowledgeable will hopefully give counsel but I'm not sure that a 337 is needed. It's part the 7AC type certificate so I think it's just a log book entry. Wait to hear from the others. I also have a rear tank so that makes three of us! The things I thinking of now is that the fuel selector is visible, clearly labled and easily reached, that the tank is vented properly, that there's a low point to drain water and that the fuel line is protected from damage. Also, the weight and balance would be affected and the type certificate data sheet may also list a needed placard. I've always thought the rear tank works similarly to the wing tanks in that the nose tank is used for all operations and the other tanks replenish the nose tank once it's half full (or half empty when flying over water).

I'm pretty certain that Bill Pancake could you help here.

Good luck.

Carl Prather

Mikek

Post by Mikek » Wed Sep 14, 2011 23:27

Carl Prather wrote:Brink and Mike,

Those more knowledgeable will hopefully give counsel but I'm not sure that a 337 is needed. Carl Prather
I would agree that the install would not need a 337 but it would support any parts used in the system by part no. which were different than the old numbers on the prints along with a W&B record with the Fed's which would hard to loose.

Mike K
Mike Knemeyer

1410 Meadow Lane

3oh0
N83348 7AC-2015
N82146 7AC-772

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Thu Sep 15, 2011 00:39

The way I look at these installations is by component parts. If the original had the tank, associated plumbing and a valve, these are the items needed. A single on/off valve, regardless of manufacturer, needs to be installed. If you were to add a substantially different style of valve then you would need to figure if it was a major or minor alteration. Now any valve chosen needs to have been built to a known standard, as dictated by the FAR's.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

brink

Post by brink » Thu Sep 15, 2011 05:30

Hello Flyers:
Thank you for the replyes, and yes I will send you that 337,What is your address? the FAR's require it now, and it must be on board the Aircraft, I need a clearer drawing if any one has it. in the mail please, I have everything installed according to the drawing, I think. Bill provided it, but it was real black when he computerized it. My drain is at FS 48 lowest point, my transfer valve is located just below my forward throttle by my left knee. in a level attitude my tail up and plumb bobed level 0 degrees it will transfer, if I elevate the tail 4 to 6 degrees it transfers alot quicker. I was simulating a flying decent with that 4-6 degree test. No forward motion in this test, My next question is my vented fuel cap, Like some Taylorcraft should I weld a snorkel in the airstream The drawing has no cap illustrated that I can see I know of an owner in Maryland, he is not in our club, has the same installation with the exception of that fuel cap snorkel it's about 4 inches high and is 90degree bend into the wind,forward. he claims and he is flying it that it will not transfer without that cap modification. the snorkel is 1/4 inch tubing in steel . It places the vent in undisturbed air. A fellow flyer Sunny Aj Brinkerhoff 1803 Izapa Court Granbury, Texas 76048

brink

Post by brink » Mon Sep 19, 2011 06:48

Hey Flyers ;
Thank you for your reply Paul: I answered my last question, with a test I brazed that 4 inch tube in that vented cap I ordered from Wag aero, and bent it into the airstream. I used I think less than a atmosphere of pressure, in the tube,Just like blowing on my airspeed Pitot system, I had 4 gallons of fuel in the aux tank, and the nose tank had about 6 gallons in it. I turned on the valve with the tail up and it transfered in less than a minute. with my engine fuel valve off. I will try it with the engine running on the next test. I can kinda see what Harold was talking about, The air flow over the cabin is decreased and causes a lift, that rear tank cap is so low apparently it will not allow it to vent properly. The 4 inch snorkle is in smooth air, and places pressure so the cap will vent allowing the fuel to flow, I think!!!!! I will try it with the snorkle ,and a plain vented cap without the snorkle when I start Flying. I really want that aux tank to work, I have a tendendancy to get lost when I fly!!! Afellow flyer Sunny

Mikek

Post by Mikek » Fri Sep 30, 2011 19:54

brink wrote:Hello Flyers:
Got prints back, glad they were what you needed. I am a few years away from completion but it will happen.
Mike Knemeyer

1410 Meadow Lane

3oh0
N83348 7AC-2015
N82146 7AC-772