Fuel tank clarification

Fuel tanks, systems and parts
Nathan K. Hammond

Fuel tank clarification

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Tue Sep 20, 2005 23:31

I was looking at the latest Wag catalog, and it got me wondering. They sell the 5 gal wing tank, but is that the same tank aeronca offered from the factory? I ask, because the TCDS calls them 5.5 gal tanks. :?

By the way, anybody else notice how much more stuff Wag has listed?

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

kyleb

Re: Fuel tank clarification

Post by kyleb » Tue Feb 23, 2010 22:10

I realize Nathan's post is as old as dirt, but it is a topic of interest to me.

How many types of small wing tanks are available from Wag and Univair? It seems that there are the 5 gallon tanks that have a flat top surface which may come in contact with the fabric. Also there is a 6 gallon tank that reminds me of the original tanks and I don't think (?) comes in contact with the fabric. There also may be a 5.5 gallon tank, but I don't know that I've seen a picture of one.

So the question is... Have I missed any configurations? I think what I'd like to do is find a tank that is easy to install in a newly rebuilt wing, and that doesn't come in contact with the fabric.

Suggestions?

Nathan, have you picked a style to put back in your wings, and if so, what drove the choice?
Kyle Boatright
Marietta, GA

RV-6 Built and Flying
Champ Restoration Underway

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Tue Feb 23, 2010 23:37

Believe that there is a 5.5 and a 12/13 gallon wing tank for the Chief/Champ wing.

The 5.5 gallon tank can be installed without too much trouble but the larger tank requires some disassembly of the wing to make it work.

kyleb

Post by kyleb » Tue Feb 23, 2010 23:44

joea wrote:Believe that there is a 5.5 and a 12/13 gallon wing tank for the Chief/Champ wing.

The 5.5 gallon tank can be installed without too much trouble but the larger tank requires some disassembly of the wing to make it work.
I'm looking for the smaller aux size tank in the 5-6 gallon size. I'm certain there are at least two and maybe three options in that range. Obviously 1 gallon more or less capacity isn't a big deal, but ease of installation and covering makes a difference. Since it'll be going back into a wing that is undergoing a total rebuild, I'm open to whatever option works best...
Kyle Boatright
Marietta, GA

RV-6 Built and Flying

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Tue Feb 23, 2010 23:49

Not sure that you really have many options. The 5.5 gallon version fits into the wing pretty easily but the bigger one is a lot more work to fit in.

As far as I know of there are only these two option's for wing fuel tank unless you want to build your own and get approval.

Fitting two 5.5 tanks in the wings and a 12 gallon fuselage tank that should be more than enough range for most people. Flying to Hawaii might take the two 13 gallon tanks! :)

Joe

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Wed Feb 24, 2010 01:09

Kyle,
To install a wing tank of any size will require a big hole in the wing. The 5 Gal doesn,t have the drag wires through it and the 13Gal does. With the big tanks I just push the wire into the trailing edge area and the other I slide from the tank as it's removed. You need to repair the fabric on about three bays from the root. This is going to be a big job and there is no easy way to accomplish it.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Feb 24, 2010 09:41

I installed the Wag Aero 5 gallon kits when I rebuilt both wings on my L16 project plane. Because I needed additional fuel for the 0200 engine I thought these would be the best option. Although the 13 gallon wing tanks get rid of the nose tank and fuel out of the fuselage, there's a fair amount of plumbing involved. Also, a lot more expensive, I might add. The liturature says the 5 gallon tanks are easily installed but I found they took a lot of 'fitting' and I was rebuilding the wing at the time rather than trying to install the tanks in already covered wings. The quality was 'fair' with welds pushing against the butt rib which caused me to have to move the next rib over in order to get enough clearance to fit the tank. There was also a certain amount of 'heaving' on the tank upper cover from welding that took some 'body work' to correct. The installation instructions are pretty sparce but good enough, I guess. Leaves a lot to your imagination.

I know Dennis, off this site, also installed a set so he may have some other ideas. It seems that tanks that fit inside the fabric by removing the butt rib might be easier.................maybe :? :? .

MikeB

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Wed Feb 24, 2010 14:01

Can't add much to what Paul and Mike has already said. Paul clued me into using a hammer and a dolly to get a better shape on the top side of the Wag tanks. "Hammer to fit."

The fabric will touch the Wag tanks and the tank had to be "shape to fit". I also had to relocate one rib. A couple of the bolts on either the butt rib or the wing spar bracket, can't remember which, must be turned around for clearance. The thickness of the bolt head is less than the nutted end of the bolt. So the bolt head will need to be inside the bay where the tank is placed.

Also, if your headliner is not in, yet, build a plate/bracket at the top of the fuselage for mounting the fuel shut off valve. Even if you don't use them, they give you an option that you may later use.

Dennis

kyleb

Post by kyleb » Wed Feb 24, 2010 18:37

Thanks for the input, guys. One thing I need to clarify is that I'm rebuilding my wings, so the wing isn't "recently assembled" or whatever I stated, it is "about to be reassembled with new spars", so I'm kind of starting with a blank canvas.

With that in mind, I did some browsing of the Wag-Aero catalog and found three different tanks that might meet my needs:

1) The 5 gallon PMA'd tanks that Wag usually offers as a pair. I think these are the ones Paul and Dennis discussed. From the pictures, these tanks seem to have a trapezoidal shape which allows the retention of the drag wires. The downside (I think) is that the top surface is in contact with the fabric.

2) The (drawing #) 7772 tanks (they come in L and R), and appear to be for L-16B's and their civilian equivalents. I couldn't find any documentation on the TC that these tanks are OK for retrofit into a 7AC. I believe these tanks install between the drag wires and do not contact the fabric. I think some of David Johnson's pictures of Lloyd's wings show this type tank. This the tank I'd like to use, but again, I can't find documentation supporting putting this tank into a 7AC. Does anyone have additional insight? Also, does anyone have a good drawing of this tank? The copy I have is very difficult to read.

3) The (drawing #) 71001 tanks, which also come in L and R. They appear to have a rectangular planform and I suspect require modification to the stock wing structure. I think the top of this type tank is in contact with the fabric. This tank is listed on the TC for the 7AC. And again, I could use a better drawing if someone could send one.

If anyone has additional information about any of these tanks (i.e. can you confirm or deny my assumptions about fabric contact and drag wires or structure), I'd love to hear from you...

Thanks,

Kyle
Kyle Boatright
Marietta, GA

RV-6 Built and Flying

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Wed Feb 24, 2010 21:33

Kyle,
The tanks you chose are covered under the TC. It is item 106.
As I've said in the past, the best combination for a Champ is a non-electrical Champ with one wing tank (5gal). It gives you the range you need and the best performance.
Paul

RRHaldeman

Post by RRHaldeman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 08:27

Paul,
I respectfully disagree. I just bought a Champ, in part, because it had two 6 gallon wing tanks. When I fly solo on a long cross country, I have the option of carrying full fuel. When I fly duo on shorty cross country legs, I have the option of filling one aux tank. In my opinion, the best option is the one that gives you the most options.
Dick Haldeman, RRHaldeman AT aol DOT com
Cell (815) 222-9812
1946 7AC-2407 N83729

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Thu Mar 11, 2010 16:28

Dick,
I understand your position, and the comfort level from the availability of the added fuel. My point is that these little airplanes need to be kept light to get the performance from them. The single aux. tank give you a three hour range which is a long time to sit in an Aeronca. Even with the distances out West, three hours is plenty of fuel for most missions.
BTW, when tanked up my L16 has over 6 hours of fuel on board. The longest leg I've flown was Vancouver,WA to Red Bluff,CA. It was a little over 4 hours.
Paul

RRHaldeman

Post by RRHaldeman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 17:45

Paul Agaliotis wrote:when tanked up my L16 has over 6 hours of fuel on board. The longest leg I've flown was Vancouver,WA to Red Bluff,CA. It was a little over 4 hours.
Paul
My longest flight in my Skylane was 6.8 hours. How do I do it? I take along an empty gallon milk jug and land when the tanks are empty or the jug is full - whichever comes first. :lol:
Dick Haldeman, RRHaldeman AT aol DOT com
Cell (815) 222-9812
1946 7AC-2407 N83729

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Fri Mar 12, 2010 19:00

Normally, I also carry a "special" jug but one time I forget to bring it and had to use a water bottle without a lid. What a mistake that was. I tried to throw it out the window, over farm land of course. I might as well as tried to stand up and piss out the window. Could not have been much worse. That goes under the heading of "never again".

Dennis

Champ99b

Post by Champ99b » Sat Mar 13, 2010 08:05

Dennis,

Boy I learned that my butt and bladder have about the same time frame. No higher or slower than I fly I just land and enjoy the leg streaching and bladder relief at the same time. I have to climb to reach pattern altitude to land at most airports anyway. :lol: